How would you crop this

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Comments welcome:
Dscf3563.jpg

I would have liked more space in-front of the ball...

My thoughts on cropping:

Dscf3563.jpg

I was thinking either chop it above the lights or not at all.

Further right was a crowd of people so I tried to avoid getting them in the frame.

Why go to the effort of creating this great statue and not recess those lights???

The crop isn't the problem for me. The busy background and poor lighting on the subject hurts this far more than the cropping. It would have been nice to catch this at a time of day when the sun created shadows on the folds of the fabric. Shooting with a shallower depth of field might have created subject separation by blurring the busy background,

More space on the right might have made a more engaging composition. How much space depends on the structure in the background and how it might be incorporated into composition - or just minimized by DOF as mentioned. As shot, the crop is as good as you can make it I think.

I think I would try a very low angle close in to eliminate most of the amphitheater, and maybe even the lights.

another simple crop...

Attachments

• Dscf3563b.jpg
    Dscf3563b.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 192
I think I would try a very low angle close in to eliminate most of the amphitheater, and maybe even the lights.
The low angle would be the way to go except that there is a moat full of water just below frame.

I will do a bit of layer masking to blur up the background a bit and post it up.

EDIT: Tried the DOF changes but it just looked a bit weird. I was too far away from the subject for that kind of editing. I will have another trip nearer dusk to see what I can get.

Last edited:
I really like the b&w sleist!

I'd crop the left and right slightly because it's unusually long and keep everything else. The background architecture is nice.

Most reactions

Back