How would you deal with that?

D-50, Thanks for telling me how I should feel...
how very sweet of you! :lol:

Depends....was the competition a 'cutest baby/kid' type of comp or was it a 'best photo' type of comp? Did the judgement lay on the artistic merits of the photo rather then purely on the subject matter ie. the kid?

If it was a baby/kid comp, I wouldn't mind a simple common courtesy of my friends telling me that they wanted to enter it in a comp and "would I mind?". My only condition would be that I would be credited as the photog/watermark it.

If it's photography based, then I feel the only one submitting the photo should be the photographer. Anyone else submitting it would be cheating.

It's simply called respect and courtesy. The person who took their kids photo did, after all, shoot their kids and gave them the photos for free.

I think the most important thing here is "why"?

If you submit a picture which you know isn't yours to a competition in order to win, you are both defrauding the competition and being duplicitous to your friend.

However, if the local paper runs a pretty baby contest, and they stuck it in without thinking for a laugh... then it's pretty harmless.

I'm pretty happy for people to play with my photos, reproduce them, edit them, repost them here on the internet..... but I get narky if they pretend it's their work, or try and profit from my generosity.

I wonder which case it was?

Rob

Most reactions

Back