How would you handle this?

Macno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've recently set up a website to display and (maybe) sell my photos.

I shot a pic of an acrobat/street performer recently which I put on my website and the acrobat has asked for a copy.

Would you normally give people these shots? Obviously there is a cost involved in doing that if I make a print and send it to him. Then again if I just let him have the digital image he is then able to pass it around to as many friends as he likes to print off.

I am not really comfortable with either option. Im not really sure its fair to charge him since he is the subject but I dont want to wear the cost of sending him a print. I also dont really want to let him have free run with the digital image.

What do the pros normally do in situations like this?

I often shoot interesting looking people on the street. Some of which have asked for copies. To date I havent given anyone anything as Im not sure how best to handle it.

Personally, I would let the person have it. I think he has every right to because he's a main part of the work. Now I am not someone who makes money off photographs so my approach will be more based on personal values than about the bottom line.

I'm not a 'pro', but I would give him a free print. You know, karma and all...

If he wants it framed, I would probably charge him for the frame, because those can get pretty pricey... The best thing would probably be to just give him a print (that doesn't really cost that much), and let him take care of framing it.

On all the assignments that I shoot involving sports, I will send the first parent that asks who I work for a few jpegs of of their kid competing. It doesn't cost me anything and makes someone happy. I recently saw a father and son out fishing off a dock, he had a couple of cameras with him but was involved with his son, I shot a couple dozen frames went over and gave him my card, told him to e-mail and I'd send him some shots of the his son and him together. He told me he was a weekend professional and didn't have too many shots of the two together. Again it didn't cost me more than a few minutes of my time and gave this guy a memory to keep for life.

Without the subject you have nothing to shoot, personally it's just a decent thing to do.

Well, as far as I know, and I can definitely be wrong, if you plan on making money from an image you will need a model release form. As far as I know this even applies to people in public spaces. Again I could be wrong. I would definitely look up the laws in your area to find out.

Laws aside, I would give him a print. I would also give him a handful of business cards. If he likes the photo enough to want one he will probably be showing it off. If he shows it off it can drum up business for you.

Well, as far as I know, and I can definitely be wrong, if you plan on making money from an image you will need a model release form. As far as I know this even applies to people in public spaces. Again I could be wrong. I would definitely look up the laws in your area to find out.
Laws aside, I would give him a print. I would also give him a handful of business cards. If he likes the photo enough to want one he will probably be showing it off. If he shows it off it can drum up business for you.

Well, since you posted the link in the next thread showing that you are wrong(and with the strike-through's showing the person's blog was originally wrong), it would seem a bit redundant for me to repeat it...especially considering how many times you mentioned you could be wrong in your post. Yep, this has already gotten a bit redundant... :biggrin:

The OP can sell the photo. He can't sell it to Nike to advertise how the acrobat was using their shoes.

In any case, I would send the guy a low res digital copy to share on his social networking sites or charge him cost +10% for whatever prints he wanted.

He can't sell it to Nike to advertise how the acrobat was using their shoes.
Sure he can sell the photo to Nike. Once he has sold it to Nike, he has no control over how Nike uses the image. However, the photo is worth more to Nike if it's accompanied by a valid model release.

Nike's legal department will recommend a model release be obtained from any people in the photo, if the photo will be used in any way to promote Nike, because at that point Nike become the publisher of the photo.
A model release protects the model and the publisher. Sometimes the photographer becomes a publisher too.

Using un-released images is a fairly common practice in the advertising world.

A digital file would make it easy for the street performer to share the photo. A print would be harder to spread around, but easier to display in his home.

I recommend to anyone selling photos with people or property in them to get, carefully read, and keep handy as reference - Dan Heller's book: A Digital Photographer's Guide to Model Releases: Making the Best Business Decisions with Your Photos of People, Places and Things

The ASMP's book: ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography, 7th Edition

And John Harrington's book: Best Business Practices for Photographers, Second Edition

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Since the juggler was the main subject and you took his picture, why not be a decent human being and give him a print. A 4x6 cost about 40 cents. I dont think that will break you will it? Someone even pulls out the law books? Common sense should prevail above all else. But it sounds like you are a taker who doesnt give back. You arent going to learn good manners here. Your momma should have taught them to you.

Since the juggler was the main subject and you took his picture, why not be a decent human being and give him a print. A 4x6 cost about 40 cents. I dont think that will break you will it? Someone even pulls out the law books? Common sense should prevail above all else. But it sounds like you are a taker who doesnt give back. You arent going to learn good manners here. Your momma should have taught them to you.
yea give him a print a card and the web address he is only going to show it off.

all the best

Hi Macno!

Just give him a free copy.:sexywink:

For example, I am the acrobat guy, my pic is taken by a professional photographer- I'm flattered and I'll be happy to pay for it.
But if you hand me a copy, I'll be more proud. Keep in mind that word-of-mouth is a powerful tool.

I usually offer to give them the digital image (jpeg) as long as they promise to credit me for the work on websites, facebook... anywhere it is used. Though usually people don't catch me shooting pictures of them. :)

I did a similar thing. Shot a father and daughter at a street event, gave them my card...he emailed me and I sent him the pic. Nothing more than gratitude came from it but my name is out there. Look at it as "free promotions" of your work. He most likely posted it on his social network or printed and has it framed somewhere for the world to see (my work).

Most reactions

Back