How would you like to travel the world?...

peace corps...

this is very hard to get in to. If your not college educated (and most likely with honors) then forget about it.

I tried to get a pilot spot with the USAF, but I was given the no go on my medical. I was very upset about it, because I love flying, and its also an awesome way to get to live all over the world, especially as an officer w/flight incentives.

My dad rode his bicycle across the United States this past summer. I drove him from Oklahoma City to the Pacific Ocean in Oregon at the end of April. He then spent the next 81 days riding to Virginia and the Atlantic ocean. He never had any problems with hostile people. Just a couple dogs that chased him a bit. Check out his website and his journal at www.grandpalosthismind.com.

Suggest you start out close to home....familiar ground then expand the horizon. Much of the advice above is worth taking depending upon your mode of travel. Get started now!!! The world is changing far too fast and many cultures and old ways of life are disappearing.

You will invariably meet someone to travel with, even if it's for a short distance. I've always run into a Canadian no matter what country I visited. I've visited 50 different countries during my life time so that's at least 50 Canadians. :lol:

Put up a map of somewhere on the wall and throw a dart......then back a bag and go! Good luck.....

Note: I'm not finished traveling yet!

Yeah, you not hated worldwide like Americans! :lmao:

It's amazing though, people gripe about the US but they still love the movies, the clothes, etc etc. Heck the cool backpackers from the US usually will get offered a Canadian flag to cut down on hassles :hug::

Being a Brit in Oz though.... Aussies loooove to call'em Pommies (as in prisoner of mother country). Kinda illogical though when you think about it.

You will invariably meet someone to travel with, even if it's for a short distance. I've always run into a Canadian no matter what country I visited. I've visited 50 different countries during my life time so that's at least 50 Canadians. :lol:

If traveling the world means I'll have to meet 50 Canadians, then I'd just assume stay home :lol:

NZ as mentioned by others is a very easy country to start with. It's full of beautiful scenary and many young people who travel there. Accurate information is easyly accecible there and was great fun for me (although not alone) for 2.5 months. Culturally it is less interesting so it depends what you're looking for.

Dani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye
If traveling the world means I'll have to meet 50 Canadians, then I'd just assume stay home :lol:

Yeah, but ther're good drinkers..........:lmao:
/QUOTE]

Too right we are! We're everywhere with our little flags... muahhhahhhaahaa. Those Aussies though... I are you to find a location without a group of'em on a world tour :lmao:

omg lol... this is like the reason i want to go this year!!. Im a huge fan of both thier series.. i got them on dvd just to watch all the extra planning stages etc, which were amongst my fav parts.
Iv always liked the idea of doing it.. this series just bought it all to life for me which is also why i mentioned some kind of volenteer work along the way.. inspired by thier visits to Unicef.
The best thing tho about the series was the fact that ewan was with his best mate (and vice versa) which means that when the **** hits the fan you have someone to share it with... you know?... so like a bad experience which happens is always something you can laugh about another time. But what im unsure of is are the bad experiences on your own quite so enjoyable in retrospect when you have no one to share it with.

Id just sooo love to have a big crew with me too! :lol:

That's too funny, that exactly why I FINALLY decided to plan my trip (been wanting to go since I was five). Can you imagine renting a whole flat just to plan a trip? Brilliant! Kinda horrified that some Canadian teeny-bopper almost killed Ewan.

The stuff that goes wrong when you're solo is still pretty funny in retrospect, the trick to get the most enjoyment out of it is to tell other mates who done that type of travelling too, 'cos they relate the most. My two best friends just got back from Peru & Macchu Picchu (normally they're spa and posh hotel chicks) and hearing about the 22-hr bus ride from hell and the toilets with no seats was still hysterically funny to me. Maybe it's just schadenfreude... Anyways, now they laugh more at the dumb stuff I've gotten into overseas.

The trick of it is you'll meet up with like-minded people while you're travelling, even if it's only a few days at a stretch, who will probably be there when crap happens, and who will find it something to laugh about later. I've had more luck with that than my other posh friend who got pooped on by a pigeon in Paris, and still does not think it is as funny as I do.

I went to high school in Egypt and have travelled extensively around the world, but it wasn't until I started traveling solo on a motorcycle that I really starting appreciating the travels. I have covered most of North America with just whatever I can pack on my motorcycle.

I would recommend starting with some easy countries if you are nervous about going solo. Go to english speaking countries and work your way to more exotic destinations as you become more confident.

IMG_0673_web.jpg

I've wanted to travel through different countries in Eurpope (mainly Germany), for the longest time, but money is a HUGE factor for a college student. I just can't justify the expense if it means I can't finish college.

I love to go travelling the World but dont really fancy doing a 3 month package thing. Seems a bit rushed and i doubt you'll experience half the stuff. I want to do a year travelling after ive finished university.
Hopefully if ive got some money put by im going to Hong Kong,China next summer with some friends who are originally from there and then do some charity work in Cambodia with my Uncle who has set up an HIV support and medical centre there. Cant wait!
As already said, I think its a good idea so get to know other travellers before you go and plan on meeting each other in verious countries.
And you will come back a different person!

I would love to set out and travel, but like you, I know if I was to go it alone I'd definitely be scared.

For now though I'll happily be sticking to the Germany meet-up and, I suppose, living vicariously through you and your well documented (please) adventures.

A good friend of mine recently spent two months in Ecuador on her own and she said it was the experience of her life.

I'm sure given the right attitude you'll have a fantastic time no matter where you decide to set off to.

I really travelled a lot on this planet.. but i never got homesick.

but sometimes, at home, i get "sick" and want to get to some places far away which i have seen ...

maybe i am just too self centred to get homesick.

Most reactions

Back