How would you spend $1,000??

bsdubois00

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brandondubois.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK - So I'm looking for a nice SLR set up - This is what I have been looking at. I have used an SLR quite a bit - do some HDR stuff - alot of just amatuer stuff - nothing but a hobby - but I want the best bang for my buck.

Olympus E620 w/ two Lenses
Pentax K20D
Nikon D5000

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Brandon

While I like the rotating screen on the D5000, I would rather get a D90.

ooof... D5000. Another one of those cameras that Nikon released that has left me going "Um... we need this in the lineup... why?"

D80/D90 would be the way I would choose to go, personally.

canon t1i w/o the bogus 18-55mm.

video mode is better than nikon.

bar-none, the canon is better if you're in the market for DSLR w/ video mode. do it once and get it right.

I found a lightly used D90 for $950 with the kit lens. Money well spent IMO. Check your local Craigslist ads for good deals too. I've been seeing a lot of people parting with good gear due to the economy.

The D90 can only bracket 3 exposures. Adequet for your HDR work but barely, and it pretty much uses up your total budget. It's an all plastic body, has no weather sealing, but it's image quality is on par with the $1800 D300.

Right now, the best bang for the buck is the D200 at www.bestbuy.com for $680. Metal chassis, weather sealing, up to 9 bracket auto exposures for HDR, 1/8000 shutter speed. That leaves you $320 to play with for other camera/lens goodies (vert grip, CL-polarizing filter, a couple graduated neutral density filters, monopod, tripod, etc. Take your pick).

Get decent lenses before you splurge on bodies. I would suggest a D80 body and a Sigma 18-50 F2.8 Macro

you could get a brand new K20d for around $675, then get the two new weather sealed kit lenses, 18-55mm WR and 55-200mm WR for about $350, and for $25 over budget, you have a sweet dslr with decent coverage from 18-200, in a fully weather sealed package.

I'd get a hooker. If there was anyhting left I would buy lottery tickets.

Right now, I'd buy a new set of Taylormade golf clubs b/c my current set of sticks are about to need to be replaced. If I spent it on camera equipment, it would be k20D + 50mm f/1.4. I'll qualify that with saying that I own a pentax k10d, ist ds, ist 35mm and ME super 35mm. Pentax is a great line up and you can use any lens ever created for it including some remarkeable glass made eons ago. If I were looking into Nikon, I'd look more at the d90. I have no idea about olympus though.

canon t1i w/o the bogus 18-55mm.

video mode is better than nikon.

bar-none, the canon is better if you're in the market for DSLR w/ video mode. do it once and get it right.

The video mode is max 21 fps, that's useless. The D90 has 30fps.

If I spent it on camera equipment, it would be k20D + 50mm f/1.4. ...

I am with Johnboy... If the OP is comfortable with manual (K-mount, Adaptall, M42 screws) lenses there are a boat load of fun options for the hobby photographer with little cash. If it were me... I'd go for a nice used K10D with almost every M42 Takumar I could get my hands on. Like Johnboy, I have to admit that I am a bit biased towards Pentax.

Even to start, a K10D or K20D with a decent AF zoom can go a long ways.

Most reactions

Back