Howdy and help.

JDiddyxl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just registered and wanted to say howdy and get some help. My name is Jason and I shoot sports mostly, I freelance for the local paper shooting high school sports in East Texas. Last year while visiting family in Houston I was at a park shooting the nieces it came a downpour. I have a 70-200mm f2.8 lens I use for everything and it got wet. I can still use it and do all the time, but now if it is really hot or humid the focus messes up. It will work fine for a little while then it just stops working right. I need to get it looked at but am trying to wait till summer cause I am in the middle of baseball,soccer,softball,tennis, and track. Just thought someone could help that knows what is going on. I live in a small town so will have to go to Houston to get it looked at but it is really frustrating.

Jason

which 70-200 2.8?

If it's not a weather sealed lens and didn't have a filter on it, then it may have moisture in it which could have caused corrosion on the circuitry. How exactly is the focus "messing up"?

If it's not a weather sealed lens and didn't have a filter on it, then it may have moisture in it which could have caused corrosion on the circuitry. How exactly is the focus "messing up"?

It is a Canon 70-200mm f2.8. It did have a filter but the moisture inside could be it. It will focus alright for a little while then it will kinda freeze and not focus at all.

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest sending it into Canon ASAP, before any possible corrosion or mold gets worse.
It may just need to be opened up and cleaned...but it will be hard or impossible to tell unless you have someone look at it.

If you can't be without that lens, then rent one while you send this one in. (or buy a used one, then sell it later).

If you just can't send your lens in for inspection & repair, then leave it out in the sun.

I would remove filters and caps and place it in a sealed box (empty aquarium maybe) with a de-humidifier for a day or three. Most google searches will turn up $100-$250 models. These are for rooms. You can find small $25-$30 models for gun safes. That should remove any residual moisture from inside the lens.

You need to make sure that when you pull your gear out that you give it adequate time to acclimate to the weather conditions. This is crucial when things are foggy or humid. Im in Texas too so I know how it goes.

Most reactions

Back