Hows my composition?

Fatback

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just wondering how my composition is. If I should be doing something different, or what. Feel free to C&C the photos as well if you want.

S1/125, F9, ISO 100, 55mm
4856637413_b43c672856_b.jpg

S1/100, F8, ISO 100, 55mm
4857261446_59211a741d_b.jpg

S1/125, F11, ISO 200, 55mm
4854803884_4d7296419f_b.jpg

S1/160, F13, ISO 800, 55mm
4854082422_ab78b77ae6_b.jpg

Last edited:
To me, the interesting thing about butterflies and moths are the wings. You can't really apprecaite them in #1 and #4. The subject is also far too small in the first pic.

#2 isn't bad, but I might crop more top and bottom. I might even crop some of the petals as the butterfly is presumably the subject, and the flower should be a background element. At the moment it is competing.

#3 is my favourite of the set.

A closer crop showing more detail on the insects would be preferable since they are the subject and focus point.

Hello Fatback
As you can probably tell, there is a lot going on in this photo, and the dragonfly is not the focus of the photo. One's eyes are looking around the image and not necessarily focusing on your target.

The conmposition is not terrible, but the wings are not both in focus, and you could have more DOF to cure this. Also, the insect could be a little bigger. But in my mind the composition works as you are showing the environment of the insect as well as the insect itself.

The small gravel/rocks are the focus point of this image.

I actually like where the focus is on this image. I would try to crop the image just a little and see how that looks. A little off the bottom/top and a small amount off the left side.

What camers/lens did you shoot with? What are some of the details of the images?

2 and 4 are the best ones to work with, although I agree the out-of-focus right wing in 2 is a problem. I would darken the upper left corner in 2 and also about the bottom quarter of 4, which I wouldn't crop very much.

To me, the interesting thing about butterflies and moths are the wings. You can't really apprecaite them in #1 and #4. The subject is also far too small in the first pic.

#2 isn't bad, but I might crop more top and bottom. I might even crop some of the petals as the butterfly is presumably the subject, and the flower should be a background element. At the moment it is competing.

#3 is my favourite of the set.

A closer crop showing more detail on the insects would be preferable since they are the subject and focus point.

Hello Fatback
As you can probably tell, there is a lot going on in this photo, and the dragonfly is not the focus of the photo. One's eyes are looking around the image and not necessarily focusing on your target.

The conmposition is not terrible, but the wings are not both in focus, and you could have more DOF to cure this. Also, the insect could be a little bigger. But in my mind the composition works as you are showing the environment of the insect as well as the insect itself.

The small gravel/rocks are the focus point of this image.

I actually like where the focus is on this image. I would try to crop the image just a little and see how that looks. A little off the bottom/top and a small amount off the left side.

What camers/lens did you shoot with? What are some of the details of the images?

2 and 4 are the best ones to work with, although I agree the out-of-focus right wing in 2 is a problem. I would darken the upper left corner in 2 and also about the bottom quarter of 4, which I wouldn't crop very much.

i would try a little closer crop around the insects.

Thanks for the Feedback everybody. I really appreciate all the help.

I noticed everybody said to use a closer crop. All of these are all ready cropped 30% or more. I fell like if I crop any closer that I will loose to much image quality. I defiantly agree that I need to work on my DOF. In most of my photos it seems that I either have to much DOF, or not enough.

All these were taken with my Sony Alpha A230, and kit lens. I know that the kit lens isn't all that great for stuff like this, but it's what I like. As soon as I can, I'm going to get a Macro lens, or at least a Macro filter to hold me until then. I added some EXIF info above each photo, so you guys can check that out.

I'm just wondering how my composition is. ....

Turn the camera sideways and shoot vertical on some of those with dead space. Cropping is not part of composition. Cropping is a post process. Looks good. Give 'er hell.

-

Turn the camera sideways and shoot vertical on some of those with dead space. Cropping is not part of composition. Cropping is a post process. Looks good. Give 'er hell.

-

I see your point, but if I shoot vertical wouldn't the dead space just be at the top, and bottom instead of the sides? Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

I'm with the others here thinking you need to crop a bit more. 2 & 3 are my favorites though I do think you need some fill on #2 as its a bit dark. All in all though I feel you did a excellent job and they all turned out very well.

-

I see your point, but if I shoot vertical wouldn't the dead space just be at the top, and bottom instead of the sides? Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

Fill the frame. 1 & 2 may have been better as vertical shots. Two and four could have been better closer. Anything other than slight cropping is for fixing problems. In good composition you avoid them. Again, fill the frame.

I'm with the others here thinking you need to crop a bit more. 2 & 3 are my favorites though I do think you need some fill on #2 as its a bit dark. All in all though I feel you did a excellent job and they all turned out very well.

I will keep that in mind with my next set. Thanks for the feedback.

-

Fill the frame. 1 & 2 may have been better as vertical shots. Two and four could have been better closer. Anything other than slight cropping is for fixing problems. In good composition you avoid them. Again, fill the frame.

I agree that I need to fill the frame. Although I find that hard, sense I can't get very close to my subject. My lens only goes to 55mm from there on, I have to physically get closer. That can be very hard when shooting something like a dragonfly, or butterfly. I get too close they might fly away, so sometimes I am forced to take the photo anyways, and crop it to get the one I wanted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back