How's the editing on this one???

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a picture I took awhile ago..I'm wanting to improve me editing skills with portraits. I tried a couple new things I read about and wanted some feedback. Is there enough pop??? I like the image and I think the lighting looks good. I'm thinking her skin tone could use some tweaking, but I'm not positive. What do you think? I'm also thinking I need a new monitor and need to get calibrated instead of using my laptop!! :mrgreen:

SOOC
6928709503_f6bfe6b6e2_z.jpg

Her eyes look softer here...The image looked better before I imported it!! :grumpy:
6928655591_d3868e0e1e_z.jpg

Last edited:
Post the original.

After walking away for a minute looking at it again...I think she looks a little yellow??

edit seems way to bright & contrasty to me.

Still too bright, and too much contrast.

Brought the white level down to 220. Adjusted the curve for a very slight S. Added a bit of high-pass focus:

6928709503_f6bfe6b6e2_z1.jpg

THe first edit was way too chalky...I think the original with just SLIGHT adjustments would have looked better. The version JUST above this post, by 480sparky, is about what I think is right for this image.

She has kind of a weird expression on her face, but that aside ... I'd do something like this -

expression.jpg

I think brightening up her eyes makes a world of difference.

My version...

5-2.jpg

Nice work, everyone! So, is editing all about personal taste? How do you know what is right when everyone has a different idea of what an image should look like?

Nice work, everyone! So, is editing all about personal taste? How do you know what is right when everyone has a different idea of what an image should look like?

It is a lot to do with personal taste, but there are some things that either work or don't work pretty consistently. The one thing I noticed when I first looked at your edit was that you sacrificed a little bit of shadow detail and highlight detail in order obtain more contrast. Whether or not you like a contrasty image is personal preference, but when a shadow goes full black, or a highlight blows out... most of the time that detracts from the image. (for this type of image anwyay... there are certainly exceptions, blah blah). If you look at Sparky's edit for instance, he still has more contrast than SOOC, but the detail in the hair on the left, and in the shirt sleeve on the right are retained.

It is a lot to do with personal taste, but there are some things that either work or don't work pretty consistently. The one thing I noticed when I first looked at your edit was that you sacrificed a little bit of shadow detail and highlight detail in order obtain more contrast. Whether or not you like a contrasty image is personal preference, but when a shadow goes full black, or a highlight blows out... most of the time that detracts from the image. (for this type of image anwyay... there are certainly exceptions, blah blah). If you look at Sparky's edit for instance, he still has more contrast than SOOC, but the detail in the hair on the left, and in the shirt sleeve on the right are retained.

Ah, I see what your talking about.. Thank you. I do tend to like more contrast, however I need to find that right balance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back