How's the lighting on these??

Gregg Jacob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
130420.jpg

Shooting art work for some friends and would like to know what you think. The shots will be for jury application into nation wide Art Shows.

Thanks for looking and any comments...Gregg
130419.jpg

I think its great! The entire piece is well lit, no dark shadows and no blown out highlights. Lots of detail visible, very nice job.

I think its great! The entire piece is well lit, no dark shadows and no blown out highlights. Lots of detail visible, very nice job.

Thanks...the compeition to get into to the big Art Shows is quite great, so you really need something that will pop get the attention right away.
Wish I could have posted a larger file.

Gregg

I agree with PhotoginCollege. It is neither overexposed nor underexposed. Your photo's lighting is just right. If your subject was a perfume (for example), your lighting could even pass for a nice product shot. Well done!

Great lighting, Although I prefer the first shot from overhead because It shows the dimension of the artwork. #2 appears more flat to me. Nice pics!

How do you get the black background so black ... but still the reflection from the base?

Here another shot that might show how it's done. And yes, I know I have some hot spots on the vase...workin on that. Went to Wallyword and got black felt, the heavy type, polyester..nothing with nylon in it, too reflective. There is a piece of smoked glass over the felt on the table with the background about 3ft behind the table so I can shoot a spot with color gels. That way I can change colors to match the piece.

attachment.php

Shooting art work for some friends and would like to know what you think. The shots will be for jury application into nation wide Art Shows.

I would say it depends on the jury. If the jury likes documentary photos that just show the object without any distractions, I think you are good to go.

In all other cases, the pictures are too flat. I would personally prefer to see some lighting accents and just an overall more dramatic lighting.

I would say it depends on the jury. If the jury likes documentary photos that just show the object without any distractions, I think you are good to go.

In all other cases, the pictures are too flat. I would personally prefer to see some lighting accents and just an overall more dramatic lighting.
These shots will be used for Art Show jurying, were 5images are displayed at a time. There's usually 600-700+ entries with only 250 spaces to fill so there's not much time for a jurier to look at them, so first impression is critical. Thay may only view each piece 1-2 mins so I'm trying to get the eye to focus on the piece and not too dramatic that it would take away from that.
Would love to get alittle more dramatic for shots for the artist display. May be you have a sample of what you call more dramatic so I can see were you're coming from.
Gregg

Last edited:
...the pictures are too flat. I would personally prefer to see some lighting accents and just an overall more dramatic lighting.

Agreed.

captainkimo stated, "I agree with PhotoginCollege. It is neither overexposed nor underexposed. Your photo's lighting is just right." This refers to exposure rather than lighting (a lighting scheme). I agree that the exposure is just fine, but this lighting is doing little to communicate much about the shape and surface of the subject.

-Pete

Agreed.

captainkimo stated, "I agree with PhotoginCollege. It is neither overexposed nor underexposed. Your photo's lighting is just right." This refers to exposure rather than lighting (a lighting scheme). I agree that the exposure is just fine, but this lighting is doing little to communicate much about the shape and surface of the subject.

-Pete

I'm very open to sugestions!!!!
Gregg

First off I would like to say this is a very well shot and lit piece however, I do have some personal suggestions as a designer that may help you improve the shots.

While a perfectly lit subject is excellent, it does not do much to show the actual texture of the work. Keeping a similar set up with lights how you have now, but throwing a fill light to the direct left or right of the subject will create some harsher shadows adding depth.

I really like how you cropped it, and the reflection underneath is a very clean touch.

Are close up shots allowed? Just one to show off the texture would be a very nice touch!

I hope some of this has helped in any way! Good luck on this project :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back