HOYA ND500 filter; Confused with the Price

UjaiDidida

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there the people of TPF! I need some help

Today I just surveyed a lot of camera store to look for HOYA ND500 82mm. All shop offers me with different prices:

Shop 1: $240
Shop 2: $170
Shop 3: $165
Shop 4: $150 (is it too good to be true?)

The prices going down as I go from a store to the other store because I told them the lowest price that I found. I walk again to Shop 1, price lowered to $205 and they even told me that any lower price ND500 might be a clone.

What do you think is the real best price of the real ND500? Should I get the one with the lowest price ($150) or just go with the most expensive ($205) just to be safe?

There may be older versions that are still sitting on store shelves. "New Old Stock". Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Hi 480sparky thanks for the feedback.

Sure I'm comparing the same thing. Even if it is really an apple I'd see if there is the same bugs that lives in it. I'm looking for a HOYA ND500 82mm but just confused with the price. I have the budget for any of them but of course I'd get the one with the best price. :)

In another thread someone was looking at HOYA filters. There was essentially a 62% reduction from Retail. Some places were selling at retail, some 10% less, 20%less etc. And some at 62% less. So Hoya seems to be one of those brands that may get discounted a lot.

I used to work for a camera store chain, and I can tell you this: filters are one of **the** most high-profit, highly marked-up items in the average camera store, along with cheap, imported,no-name camera bags. And that is how this kind of pricing situation occurs:
Shop 1: $240
Shop 2: $170
Shop 3: $165
Shop 4: $150 (is it too good to be true?)

Question: Is $150 retail price too much for an item with a wholesale price that's about what a decent lunch costs?

Most reactions

Back