HP 945

Is anyone else here using an HP 945?

J

Based on the response rate to my recently posted query, I can only conclude that the HP945 must be an overwhelmingly popular camera! :wink: Actually, it's not a bad camera, and it has served me well enough over the past few years. I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I will soon enough. I have just completed an online purchase of something a little more..er...professional? That probably isn't the correct terminology, a little more..."costly" would be more adequate. Within a few days I will possess a Canon EOS 400D 'state-of-the-art' bit of photographic gadgetry, complete with 18-55 mm lense (part of the kit) and a 4Gb memory card to boot. My intention is to enhance what was a fledgling, half-hearted hobby into something a bit more focused (no pun intended) and dedicated. I have been a member of this forum for a very short time but some of the photography that I have seen on display here has inspired me to take this up a bit more seriously and see what I can produce with improved equipment and a fresh burst of recently acquired enthusiasm. So.... if I bombard you in the near future with samples of my photographic eagerness... I hope you will accomodate and bear with me.

J

Well, not that I would even know the HP 945 myself ... while my friend might be using it, I am not sure ... I can definitely say: Congratulations on the purchase of the 400D ... I got the 350D last year as my combined birthday/Christmas present and hubby was done paying for it last month, so the 400D (nor anything photography related at all) is not on the agenda any time soon ... but well... as long as the body of the 350D will serve me well, I had hoped for (and will continue to hope for) some new lenses, such as the 50mm prime lens ... alas! Nothing this year...

You can't really see if it is the camera you mentioned here, can you? Could be any ... but that is my friend holding her camera...

AKamera.jpg

She says she's happy enough with the results.
She does not aspire for anything higher.

I can't really tell from the picture of your friend with her camera. It could be the HP945, it has a similar protruding lense, and the bit of black string on which the lense cap is suspended looks very similar to mine :) But seriously, it is a reasonably good camera and I am sure that your friend gets fine results with it.

Please tell me more about the 50 mm prime lense.
Thanks
J

I can't ... all I know is that I won't get it for Christmas. Nor for my birthday. I won't get anything ... sniff-sniff. I think I was naughty.

What I hear (on this very forum, mind) is that the results that the prime lenses give you are better than those of the zoom-lenses.
You have to change your photographic ways, of course, since you must "zoom with your whole body" or refrain from doing close-ups when you could have zoomed into the scene otherwise. But the results and the bokeh (= the aesthetic quality of a blurred background) of the 50mm prime lenses are said to be very pleasing. I would need to go for the f1.8 lens, while I would, of course, LOVE to get the f1.4 lens, since that one would allow me to take photos with even less light, but the latter is about 4 times as expensive (or more?) as the other.

Thanks for the information. I think though, that I will crawl before I learn to run. I have yet to hold the EOS 400D in my hands (presumably in a few days) and it will probably take me some time before I figure out how to work the thing properly and get the most out of it. For starters I will settle with the lense that comes with the rest of the body and once I have a fair idea of what I am doing, I will move on to the more sophisticated stuff like "aesthetic qualities of blurred backgrounds" and so forth (that sounds like something Timothy Leary would say) :)

Thanks for the information
J

Most reactions

Back