Huge explosion in UK.

They reckon people in France and The Netherlands noticed the blast - now that's a bang!

No I can't smell it and to be honest I'm not going to try to hard to either!

Rob

I'm about 20 miles or so away from it. My mum said she heard the blast. Of course, I was asleep. ;)
They said that poeple 100 miles away heard it.

Oh, they've also ran out of petrol and diesel round here as well because of people panic buying. :meh:

ferny said:
Oh, they've also ran out of petrol and diesel round here as well because of people panic buying. :meh:

I feel yer pain bro...Katrina sapped all of our car juice out. Folks were acting like animals over it...I hope it doesn't get too ugly for you guys.

I think I heard on the news that there have been reports of the cloud reaching France and possibly even as far as Spain :shock: ... or perhaps it was the sound of the blast they were talking about and not the smoke. Either way, what a huge explosion!

We ran the story A1 last night. Ap quoted a photographer that lived near the accident (?). I immediately wished that I knew all of our UK brothers full name. I am relieved to see folks from the UK sounding off!

meant to be the biggest explosion in europe since the war

Unimaxium said:
I think I heard on the news that there have been reports of the cloud reaching France and possibly even as far as Spain :shock: ... or perhaps it was the sound of the blast they were talking about and not the smoke. Either way, what a huge explosion!
The cloud is only 70 miles across. So it won't reach France as far as I know.

It'll be interesting when it rains. The cloud is made up of cardon particles. It'll all come back down to Earth making everything rather messy. :mrgreen:
And as the fire goes out so the smoke cloud cools meaning it'll sink.

I feel yer pain bro...Katrina sapped all of our car juice out. Folks were acting like animals over it...I hope it doesn't get too ugly for you guys.
They're probably all up and running again now. The police and everyone else said there was no need to panic buy because no way would we run out. So what did a bunch of idiots go out and do?...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/content/image_galleries/depot_explosion_gallery.shtml

1.jpg

These satellite images show how smoke from the Buncefield fuel depot fire spread after the initial explosions at 0600 GMT on 11 December. By lunchtime on 12 December, the smoke had reduced to a tiny plume. (All images courtesy Dundee University, except far left from US NOAA.)

I'm a itny bit north of where it happened. So no smoke for me. :mrgreen:

Only three of the twenty tanks are still of fire. They keep stopping because they're worried about tanks which didn't explode may do. They say it may all be out by lunch time.

Oh, and they think it may have started by vapour escaping and then a spark igniting it. Apparently just before the explosion to place lost all power.

Most reactions

Back