huge photo library

ALCOEN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I have a problem sorting out a huge quantity of pictures on my mac computer.
I initially started having a library of 3500 pictures on iphoto, due to a bad manipulation from my behalf, it got completely disorganised and i ended up having a much bigger library, which grew even more as i tried several applications to try and solve the problem, some if the applications used were iView media pro,iphoto diet.
Could anyone advise what would be the best way :
1) To gather all the pictures, i have some on three different hard disks and some on cd's dvd's.
2) Keep only the full sized photos and no thumbnails.
3) Eliminate all duplicates.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

...first, you'll need to adopt an organized approach to the problem and not repeat the disorganized efforts or you'll end up right back where you are now.

The goal is to have one, and only one, copy of each full-sized image on your computer yet have multiple categories for each image (e.g., scenic, clouds, National Parks, family). This means a categorization program that supports albums perhaps. There are several out there.

As for removing duplicates, there's no simple answer other than just sitting down and going through them. Move duplicates to a special directory (rather than delete them immediately) so you can recover should you be wrong.

I'd sit down first and think of all the categories I want to put the photos into. You'll make up new ones as you go along, but if you can get some idea initially it'll greatly help you with tagging the images.

Gentlemen,
I have a problem sorting out a huge quantity of pictures on my mac computer.
I initially started having a library of 3500 pictures on iphoto, due to a bad manipulation from my behalf, it got completely disorganised and i ended up having a much bigger library, which grew even more as i tried several applications to try and solve the problem, some if the applications used were iView media pro,iphoto diet.
Could anyone advise what would be the best way :
1) To gather all the pictures, i have some on three different hard disks and some on cd's dvd's.
2) Keep only the full sized photos and no thumbnails.
3) Eliminate all duplicates.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Being dissatisfied with the software organising options. (I don't like the keyword searches idea). I use a folder structure of what/where and when.

For instance a single shot of the sunset would go into:
\photos\Sunset
But the rest of the photos I shot of a friend that day go into:
\photos\Alicia - NewFarm Park [May 2007]
The photos I took yesterday:
\photos\Labour Day March [May 2007]

If there's a lot of photos from a particular event then they get grouped
\photos\Europe Holiday [2006-2007]\Switzerland\Luzern

The most important thing is to find a filing system which is your own, is logical, and is easy enough to use so you actually bother using it.

Most reactions

Back