huh?

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now I know I'm pretty slow sometimes. And I am positive that there will people waiting in line to enlighten me. So please explain to me about these people who LOVE criticism but who have not alright to edit my shots in big red letter under their name.

I know there must be some difference between, "This would be better if you cropped out the lady in the red hat." and... "See if you had cropped out the lady in the red hat it would have looked like this." But somehow I missed it.

Like I said I'm sure people are dying to explain the contradiction to me....

Life is filled with contradictions. It becomes even more interesting when the contradiction leads to a paradox.

i think the tag under the name means that they don't want other people to take their photos and edit them with photoshop etc.

Critiquing is just giving opinions and advice on photos..

I don't see a contradiction.

If someone gives me a critique, I can get what they are saying without having to see an actual edit. I think editing a person's photo and reposting is most useful for people who are new to photography. It lets them see exactly what you are talking about. If I give a critique to someone like DigitalMatt, I know that I don't need to post an edit, and really, I wouldn't want to.

My images are my vision, and I really don't want them messed with by someone else. I know what I want and what I'm going for. I still like having critiques, but I want to be the one to decide if those changes are appropriate. That may sound funny coming from someone who does a lot of editing of other people's work, but like I said, it's a great teaching tool. I don't feel comfortable doing that with someone's work once they've developed a vision, unless they've specifically asked me to.

I guess you are just going to have to give up ole buddy. I find it amusing that people can sit there and say I dont want you to touch my sacred photos but I do want critique. I made no bones I have always felt that way.

And I find most people who do that pompus.

You know what I think? That you two should stop fighting. Mysteryscribe, I don't want to make you an enemy, but I do see Mark's point of view... and not yours, at all. Like he said, it's just a method of teaching. I would make an analogy to show you, but I'm not that good at them so please, just accept the fact that some people can like editing other people's photos, but would prefer to have their's untouched. It's not that big of a deal.

Well no one is here to make enemies, so let's not take any sides. I can understand both markc and mysteryscribe, and I think there's plenty of explanations here to satisfy the original question.

So please explain to me about these people who LOVE criticism but who have not alright to edit my shots in big red letter under their name.

Who said anything about being open to critique, having to mean that other people can edit your photos with software?

You can also say 'im open to critique' without it having anything to do with editing pictures.
i.e. if you have a portrait of a couple... someone might say i'dont like the pose'.... or 'next time maybe change thier hand position'.
Thats critique.... pulling it into photoshop and editing it wont help you change the position of people.... or recompose the shot.

So there certainly is no contradiction there.... you are getting critique but you still dont want anyone to take it into software and start messing around with it.

But even as far as software editing goes....as mark suggested, some of us like to visualize an idea, then make it happen. If the critique is something along the lines of 'take away the garbage can in the background'.... you can choose to go with that idea, as it may be something you didnt notice.
However if the critique is 'crop the person out on the right and give it a sepia conversion', this may be totally destructive to your original idea.... so you would choose to ignore it.
Having the 'Not ok to edit' text, prevents you from finding that after logging on the next day, someone had croped your image and given it a terrible sepia conversion.

If you are new to photography, having someone experienced in the software edit your pictures, is a great way to learn and see how your images can look with a more knowledgable hand. So these people would choose the 'ok to edit' text.

So im sorry, i dont see your contradiction... we dont make up rules just to confuse or annoy people ;)

well, i do allow everyone to edit my images ... true. but i can understand if someone prefers others not to download their images and edit them on their computer and save them to their server.

actually, if i posted in original resolution on this forum, I would not allow people to edit my images. still i would welcome critizism. to me this is no contradiction.

i think the tag under the name means that they don't want other people to take their photos and edit them with photoshop etc.

Critiquing is just giving opinions and advice on photos..

Precisely. I really don't want anybody downloading my photos and taking them through PS. It's not that I'm hypocritical or anything.:er:

i mostly prefer to have my critique concerning composition, lighting, exposure, etc etc. i take a picture with my camera, not in photo shop and i dont feel that haveing someesle show me what i can do with photoshop is going to help what i do with a camera pre photoshop.

secondly i think there are very few photographers who would gladly hand over a negative and say, "do as you please"
Before photo shop there was critique and im pretty sure people didnt just ask to have someone else's negative and "show them how is done"

how about:

I am too lazy to figure out how to change the red okay not to edit to green.

Most reactions

Back