Hummingbird Roosting

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday was heavy overcast so I couldn't really get my shutter up enough to get this wee girl in flight but it was a great light for roosting :)

Another female came along and after she chased it away she looked at me like this as if to say "What was SHE doing here??" lol

IMG_5233-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Same bird different light, she has taken to roosting on the feeder :)

IMG_5035_1-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

nice background on #1

I personally don't like shots that include the feeder but #2 is a good shot of the hummer

consider using a flash just for some fill light

I enjoy the ones with the feeder. And the issue with flash is that you just end up scaring them away.

Nice pictures.

Both shots are very nice and the poses are perfect. #1 seems to be angry-looking but at least you told me (us) why. #2 is really good especially with that background, a bit calmer...

I actually like the one with the feeder too. Nice shots.

Ha, yeah that look does seem to be saying that, a little grumpy even :) Came out really well in those conditions, never easy those shots and still has good details in there. Very nicely handled.

All the best Judi, great to see these.

Danny.

nice background on #1

I personally don't like shots that include the feeder but #2 is a good shot of the hummer

Thanks so much all :)

Randy, thank you for your thoughts. I've used flash on birds and while I know some people use it very effectively I personally don't like the results , especially in the catch lights. I think with wildlife the magic is so very often made with the qualities of the light, not all images need to be filled with bright light, soft diffuse light can be stunning if captured effectively. As with many things in photography for me it comes down to personal preferences.

Wow those things actually sit long enough for you to take a picture? lol Ours are always whipping around in circles chasing each other and arguing.

Good job Judi :thumbup:

nice background on #1

Thanks so much all :)

Randy, thank you for your thoughts. I've used flash on birds and while I know some people use it very effectively I personally don't like the results , especially in the catch lights. I think with wildlife the magic is so very often made with the qualities of the light, not all images need to be filled with bright light, soft diffuse light can be stunning if captured effectively. As with many things in photography for me it comes down to personal preferences.

The only thing that really matters is that you like your work

Please tell me the magenta in the feeder is from a reflection of another source and not nectar with food coloring, please.

I JUST learned about the food colouring being bad for them from another thread here, I think Don's. Next batch no dye!

Most reactions

Back