Hurray! Got my "new" rangefinder!

John Orrell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The Land of 365-day Winters:North West England :(
I've just received a good-condition Olympus 35RC which I bought off E-Bay. It's fully-functional but has "been around a bit" with one-or-two dings here and there and quite extensive rubbing on the baseplate and round the strap-lugs. Still, at least that means I won't be terrified of getting it out of my camera-bag in case it gets scratched.

I can't believe how small and well-made these things were compared to today's all-plastic automated wonders. It's quite a bit less bulky than my 35SP (even smaller than the famous Trip 35) but doesn't feel at all insubstantial

I've put some Ilford Delta 400 B&W film in there and I'm going to use it in shutter-priority mode to take some stark winter shots in my local parks and beaches.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the results from its F/2.8 lens, which I've read on the 'net is one of the sharpest F2.8 lenses to ever appear on a fixed-lens rangefinder.

Anyone any experience of this beast?

Guess you have company :). I started with digital. Right now testing out different films with a 35mm analogue.

John Orrell said:
I guess the answer's "no" then :D

I suppose I'm a bit of a freak these days: not only do I persist in using 35mm film while the rest of the world's "gone digital", I even put my film in neanderthal manual-focus cameras :lol:

No yer not alone...many of us still use 35mm film, but most probably use medium format. I bounce between 35mm, MF, and digital. I can't and will not choose favs...well maybe MF :wink:.

But congrats on the camera score. Post some picks of the camera if ya can so we see what yer talking about. :D

John Orrell said:
I'm going to use it in shutter-priority mode

I even put my film in neanderthal manual-focus cameras :lol:

Shutter priority mode?!! Neanderthal? That's space age technology compared to the features on the cameras I regularly use :wink:

Most reactions

Back