Hut

OBrien

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello - I wonder if anyone has any views on this shot. It's a building I pass every day on a rail line and that I've always thought is 'interesting', sitting up on the bank behind the security fence, apparently unused and gradually being covered in graffitti. It was taken at 28mm, f25, 1/125. I pushed the contrast and saturation in ps further than I usually would to try and give it a little drama.

I suppose I was aiming for a feeling of urban neglect/decay, the uselesness of the security fence kinda thing. It was hard to get a good vantage point to shoot from what with the fence and the railtracks, but having played with a few different crops and straightening the image, have come back to the full camera version. I'm just not sure if it is interesting at all.

Any feedback/suggestions appreciated, good bad or indifferent. Sorry about the size, but I don't know why some photobucket images appear much bigger than others.

Thanks.

3444%3B86723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2345%3D32%3C%3D866%3DXROQDF%3E232397465%3C379ot1lsi

I'm not very good at the rule of thirds! I thought I had got pretty close to it in this one, with the horizontal rail at the top of the fence running more or less along one third, the sky above the roof forming a third and the top corners of the fornt of the building close to the natural focal points. But I may have that completely wrong.... How would I frame it to apply the rule of 3rds better?

I guess what grabs me is that the hut is dead center left to right. All your lines from that point lead the eye right out of the photo.

But hey, rules are made to be broken, and it might work for a lot of people.

Yeah, I did think it might be too centred, but none of my trial crops seemed to improve it. Thanks for the feedback, it's very useful.

the colors "make" this photo. but the angel, centerness, and lack of rule of thirds fail to complete it.

Most reactions

Back