Hypothetically speaking....

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is 100% a hypothetical question. I was thinking about it the other night and couldn't decide what I would get. If I somehow ended up with $6,000, what would I get? a D4s or a 300mm 2.8.

Keep in mind I'm thinking strictly about myself. I love shooting sports, etc. So I have a D7000 (no backup) and a few lenses. I wouldn't want the D800 simply because the file sizes are too big for sports.

So, if you had 6,000 dollars with your gear...what would you get? This is all strictly for fun! :lol:

Id probably get the D4S, im on the D7100... AS LONG as I had some lenses that would work on it, like at least 1 zoom and a prime maybe.

If i had the money to spend on camera gear.

EDIT: Looking at your gear, yea id go for the D4S

Probs the sigma 120-300 2.8 sport with TC's, and grab the new "nikon d400" if it really comes out this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypothetically, the only way I could answer this question is for someone to send me $6,000 and then I'll let everyone know what I bought.

Hypothetically, the only way I could answer this question is for someone to send me $6,000 and then I'll let everyone know what I bought.

I can also offer this service, paypal is all good for me. Sparky? Paypal?

I can also offer this service, paypal is all good for me. Sparky? Paypal?

PayPal works for me. All you need is my email address, right?

I would not pay anywhere NEAR $6,000 for a 300/2.8 Nikkor. A used 300/2.8 in a real walk-in retail shop is worth $3,250 to $3,500 in cash money. I do not mean from one bought from an on-line listing from one of The Big Five web dealers--I mean at an actual dealer in Seattle,Portland,Miami,San Antonio,Austin,Boston,Boise,San Diego,Dubuque,Kansas City, Baltimore,Atlanta,Detroit,Denver,Minneapolis, and so on. A used D3s is $1850 to $2,200.

In a "real store", $6,000 is close to the price for a D3 and a 300/2.8 Nikkor.

Last month, PPS here in town had a NICE 200-400mm f/2 AF-S VR-G Nikkor for $3,500. See what the new price is for a lens like that from The Big Five, new, or used.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
D800, some sort of ultrawide lens, nice filter kit, couple months worth of whiskey.

...... Seattle,Portland,Miami,San Antonio,Austin,Boston,Boise,San Diego,Dubuque,Kansas City, Baltimore,Atlanta,Detroit,Denver,Minneapolis,..... ....

Last edited by a moderator:
I had already set aside a budget for the d4s, another 6 grand would double my budget and allow me to purchase the 400mm f/2.8E prime lens. I'm a sucker for glass.

I had already set aside a budget for the d4s, another 6 grand would double my budget and allow me to purchase the 400mm f/2.8E prime lens. I'm a sucker for glass.

I'm a bit confused, did you hypothetically set aside that budget? :p

I would buy a good tripod with a ballhead ($1000), Tokina 11-16 mm for my d90 ($600) and 2-way plane ticket to Manila or Buenos Aires or Madrid or Mexico or any other place where I can use all that new stuff.

I'd buy a Roth IRA.............

Most reactions

New Topics

Back