I actually got to go out officially...

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been planning this trip since January and finally got to go on a storm chase that spanned more than 300 miles. Since this time I have been chasing only when it was around my house and most of the time the storm was already severe warned. This time how ever I traveled from Sterling to Dodge City for I suspected that I would have a good chance of getting something. Yesterday (5-26-08), I drove the 370 miles to Dodge City to get there around 3 pm. Already there was some convection and some storms were developing. There was three storms that were somewhat of a line heading east. One to the north east, one to the east, and one to the south east. The one to the north was looking promising so me and my uncle headed out towards it.

2529803765_cfd951e5d8_o.jpg

2529844089_520d407b32_o.jpg

2530662388_38b912ff2e_o.jpg

We were soon dispointed as this storm started to lose it's thunder, and start dying.

We heard over the radio that the eastern storm that we discided to neglect was now tornado warned and headed towards Greensberg, KS in order to attempt to intersept it. However, through a bunch is miss judgements, we ended up getting to the storm while is passed just to the east of Pratt and had already produced a tornado about a half an hour earlier and was then wrapped in rain. We did however elect to follow this storm east and wondered upon some debrie from friday night storms.

2530744760_16bc4173cb_o.jpg

An fire fighter came up to me while I was taking this to make sure I put my hazards on while on the side of the road and we talked for some time. After this my uncle and I, descided it was getting too late to get anything and headed for Dodge City for the night where we were awarded with a pretty nice sunset and lightning show.

2530759186_7b343a440c_o.jpg

2529894765_836f23b031_o.jpg

2530662326_9cc9594314_o.jpg

Great shots! Love the colors of a storm.

those are awesome. One of my life goals is to see a tornado, and get some photos of massive storm clouds, like when you are out of the storm, and you can see the magnitude of the clouds, and their shape much like the first one, maybe a little closer up though. Great shots!

#1 is f-ing beautiful.

Fantastic! I`m so envious!:mrgreen:

Thanks all... I had a blast!!!! We almost caught a tornado. I was pretty proud of myself that that day only produced 4 tornado's and I had gotten us close to three of them. So even though we did get to see one, the fact the we descided to drive just over 1000 miles round trip and get that close to 3 of the 4 tornados made me happy.

i really like the first two shots. makes me wish i had a car.

#1 is extremely dramatic! Have you tried a black and white version and playing with the tones a bit? Also, I think it would add to the drama more if the power lines on the right were cloned out. Just my thoughts. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back