I almost found a way to justify Adobe Cloud.

nycphotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

So far I've resisted. Kindof morally opposed, just on general principles. So my new Win10 box has only Gimp. And I'm slowly (re)learning the basics.

But I'm working on a project that has me split across several machines. Work desktop. Home desktop. macbook. Win10 VM on macbook. Remote office desktop. HEY! Creative cloud is licensed to the USER not the machine, so yea, it's like $25 a month (PS + AI), but I can actually justify that for this project.

So I went online to set it up....

Turns out you can only use it on two machines. They can't even get per user licensing right. wtf.

I'm honestly thinking I've bought my last Adobe product, and there will be no more. Ever.

I'm sure they'll be sorry to hear that. Good luck with Gimp :allteeth:

Unless you are a professional graphic artist, Gimp will serve you every bit as well as Photoshop. People are too ready to think something must be better because they pay through the nose for it.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

Unless you are a professional graphic artist, Gimp will serve you every bit as well as Photoshop. People are too ready to think something must be better because they pay through the nose for it.

I think that's a bit of an overstatement. Gimp is good; very good. And for the price? It's fantastic, but it is not Photoshop.

No, it is not Photoshop nor did I suggest it is. But for those photographers who knows how to use his camera it is all you need. For those who are graphic artists rather than photographers, you need Photoshop.

In this project, I am compositing to build up mock UI Elements. I need PS and Illustrator.
So far, been using Sketch on the mac. Eventually I need to either pay for it, or find something else.

About once a week I think, hey, I'm just going to use Illustrator. And then I... remember.

Oh yeah.

So what's the Gimpish alternative to Illustrator?

$29. It's priced right.

But I'm really looking PC first. The Mac is a complete annoyance, I mean after thought, for me.

I'm dealing with it because my arm is being twisted. But I'd prefer to just work in Windows, or at least with one cross platform product.

Last edited:
In this project, I am compositing to build up mock UI Elements. I need PS and Illustrator.
So far, been using Sketch on the mac. Eventually I need to either pay for it, or find something else.

About once a week I think, hey, I'm just going to use Illustrator. And then I... remember.

Oh yeah.

So what's the Gimpish alternative to Illustrator?

Home | Inkscape

Joe

Thank you so much. I am definitely going to be giving it a go.

Do you happen to know if it has UX widget kits? (ie collections of common UX elements than can be copied and pasted)?

Or if it reads and write AI files (or reads at least)? As then I can use AI UX toolkits.

Either way I'll be checking it out on the next UI design phase.

Thank you so much. I am definitely going to be giving it a go.

Do you happen to know if it has UX widget kits? (ie collections of common UX elements than can be copied and pasted)?

Or if it reads and write AI files (or reads at least)? As then I can use AI UX toolkits.

Either way I'll be checking it out on the next UI design phase.

Sorry I can't help with more detail. I'm strictly a photographer, but I hang around in college art departments with the illustrators and painters and so I hear stuff. Inkscape is often mentioned.

Joe

I'm still using an old Photoshop CS5

So far I've resisted. Kindof morally opposed, just on general principles. So my new Win10 box has only Gimp. And I'm slowly (re)learning the basics.

But I'm working on a project that has me split across several machines. Work desktop. Home desktop. macbook. Win10 VM on macbook. Remote office desktop. HEY! Creative cloud is licensed to the USER not the machine, so yea, it's like $25 a month (PS + AI), but I can actually justify that for this project.

So I went online to set it up....

Turns out you can only use it on two machines. They can't even get per user licensing right. wtf.

I'm honestly thinking I've bought my last Adobe product, and there will be no more. Ever.

I've got Gimp for years now. I think it's more than 10 years now since I've used photoshop.
Once you find your way in Gimp, you never look back, such an easy program, certainly with the latest version.

For my RAW photos, I use Rawtherapee to convert.
And for illustrating, I use Inkscape.
The learning curve can be a little higher, but it does what it should do.
I already done more complex stuff with it to create artwork for my music and other stuff.

+ when working on several machines, all 3 softwares are working cross platform (linux,windows,mac), free and open source. You can even install it portable on a usb flash drive.
Or even when you work on a corporate computer from work without having admin rights to install software, you can just copy the usb-installed software to your computer and it works directly from there without the need to install as admin.
Very sustainable on a long-life span, no more licenses to pay, ever.

Reactions: ntz
where can you get older versions of PS like cs5 etc.

Most reactions

Back