I am going bonkers trying to decide if I want to sell my Nikkor 70-200 vr!

cannpope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am going bonkers trying to decide of I want to sell my Nikkor 70-200 vr and get the 24-70 in it's place. I've had the 70-200 for a while now and it's kind of just sitting in my camera bag. I hate to get rid of it and then regret it, but I think I may get more use out of a 24-70. UGH! I'm dazed and :confused:!!! Can somebody help me make sense of this madness?? I own a d700, 50 1.4g, the 70-200 that has me so confused and I am getting ready to pick up a Tamron 90mm macro. Darn you photography, why must you leave me so emotional :(

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You want BOTH lenses
bigthumb.gif

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Exactly. Don't sell it--you'll regret it. I own neither and I want both!

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
only if you plan on replacing it with a 70-200vrII....they're not getting cheaper anytime soon eh?

OP
cannpope

cannpope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well yes, BUT OUCH, that would hurt my wallet and my feelings...for a little while :) I'm torn :/

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
If this were shoes, what would you do???? Would you sell all those other pairs just to get a single new pair? Many people would LOVE to own a 70-200 VR. Its resale value right now is probably as high as it ever will be. The only better replacement is the new VR-II model...

OP
cannpope

cannpope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's sounding like I should just hold onto it. I love Nikkor glass, but what 3rd party lens would be comparable (semi-close) to the Nikkor 24-70 that wouldn't leave me completely...broke? Suggestions?

bhop

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
If I had a Nikon 70-200 i'd have it for life.. (or if I upgraded to version II)

Do you have a dx or fx body? Personally I think minimum 24mm is still not as useful as a 17-55 (or similar) on a dx.

digital flower

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
digitalflowerpictures.com
Well I have been collecting guitars for longer than camera gear. My rule with them is to never sell or trade ones I have. That '65 Strat I sold is never, ever coming back. It s different because there can be significant appreciation in the value of the vintage guitars. I would apply the same rules to my camera gear. Once I have a lens it kind of costed out already and it would be more expensive to replace later.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have a skateboard that I bought in 1986 brand new for around $100. Today, it's a collectors item that's worth well over $1,000. I've contemplated selling it because I don't skate much anymore and buying the 24-70mm 2.8. Somehow, I can't bring myself to ever selling it though. It's part of what I have left of my youth and I can't give that up.

Same thing with that lens.

CCericola

Reaction score
Website
www.csjstudios.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the same issue with my cello. I don't really play it anymore and I klnow I can get a few hundred bucks for it but I can't bring myself to get rid of something I've had since I was in 6th grade.

KEEP THE 70-200!!! You know I used a Tamron 28-75 2.8 and LOVED it when I second shot a wedding for a friend (she is Nikon all the way and used her equipment and cards). And it is much easier on the wallet

xyphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I agree with others as well. DO NOT sell your 70-200. I am exactly the opposite. I have had 24-70 for a while now on my D700 and always regretted I did not get 70-200 when the price was low. On the other hand, if you hardly use it, it would make sense to trade it for a 24-70.

Tony S

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Don't ever sell quality glass.... just collect more. It's a move you won't regret.

ph0enix

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Yes, you want to sell it ...to me for a really good price :)

Most reactions

New Topics