I am going to be an aunt now what??

pic_chick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

All the folks here have been a great help to me so far and I want to say thank you so very much. Sorry for the wall of text.:blushing:

Now for the meat of my question. My little sister is going to have a baby later this year I think in about 4 months give or take. She has asked me to take photos of the baby(no name yet) and I was hoping for some does and don'ts for baby shoots I thought I should start with a list of the gear I have in hopes that you guys can help me make the right chooses I will be posting photos as a practice for CC just kinda want a jumping off point.

I have been looking online for pointers but I knowish a few of you guys work and trust your input more then random youtube

there will be no hands holding head or baby sitting up shots my pp is not that goods

My sister lives 9.5 hours away from me so I will have one go at this as we all know kids grow fast. I am worried I will mess this up but it's me or phone pics saved on facebook :) She wants to make a photobook with the photos so they will be printed

Ok things I will be working around and can not change
1. No Natural light. I have bad windows they face a wall / she may have good windows I do not recall
2. My walls are peach I hate them but as a renter I am stuck with them/ my sisters are blue and yellow I think
3. ceiling is 15 or so feet high
4. I have one on-board flash desk lamps and a hot shoe mounted flash from well it is a super old handme down from my dad

My gear list

1. 1100d
2. 18-55 mm kit lens
3. 50mm ef lens
4. 75-300mm ef lens (no good for this right?)
5. sheets white 2 can be used to diy
6. desk lamps
7. I shoot in raw
8. have lightroom and photoshop can pp pretty good

Use her walls. If you don't have strobes white is a nightmare. Don't even try to go there.
Your 50mm is your friend!
Where does she live? Is outside an option?

she lives in Ga so it maybe but she is due in fall lots of rain and overcast days so I am not counting on it.

She is having a girl I foresee a lot of pink.

Last edited:
OVERCAST IS THE BEST LIGHTING!!! You are GOLDEN if it's warm out!!!

thanks I did not think that would be so(Don't know why overcast is soft light duh..to me). but seeing how today is an overcast day I shall take my doll outside and make people think I am crazy and get some photos of it lol

I will use M so that if they are bad it will me all user error lol I need to work on wb so this will be fun.

It's great practice. You don't have to use M exclusively. You can use the assisted modes! BUT this is a great time to work at it and if you keep working on it for the next 4 months? you'll have it mastered by then!

she lives in Ga so it maybe but she is due in fall lots of rain and overcast days so I am not counting on it.

She is having a girl I foresee a lot of pink.

"Ga" as in the state of Georgia? I lived in Atlanta for 4 years, and rain and overcast days are definitely a rare occurrence (especially once the summer is over).

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Most reactions

Back