I am new here with a question about DSLR

bobandcar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently use a panazonic lumix lz6 and a nikon coolpix s3000 and am looking to upgrade to something better. breakdown would be prob 60% landscape, 30% up close and 10% portrait.
these 2 camera choices were recommended

canon t3

nikon d3100

both come with a standard lens and I was informed that I should get a second lens for the type of pictures I want to do.

any comments, suggestions, or other cameras I should be looking at?

if I can figure this out here are a couple recent photos

Depends a lot on what your budget is. If I was just getting into photography now, I'd take a hard look at whether I would want to invest in the Nikon D7000. As it is, I have too much invested in Canon to ever make a switch... but I manage. :)

The Canon T3 does not have Spot metering mode (the D3100 does). Spot metering is almost mandatory for both close ups and portraits, 40% of what you expect to use it for.

You can see in this side-by-side comparison that the D3100 image sensor performance is rated slightly higher than the T3 image sensor. However, it is doubtful you would be able to actually see that small a difference in most images made with both cameras. DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Here is a Canon T3 review - Canon EOS 1100D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Here is the Nikon D3100 review by the same web site: Nikon D3100 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Canon T3
Conclusion - Pros
  • Decent resolution and detail at base ISO
  • Consistently reliable metering and good AF accuracy
  • Useful highlight tone priority mode
  • Intuitive user interface
  • Beginner-friendly 'Basic+' control Screens
  • On-screen Q-Menu offers good access to shooting settings
  • Good battery life
  • Comprehensive software bundle
  • Attractive price point

Conclusion - Cons
  • Plastic body has a cheap feel to it, no rubberized grips
  • Very simple video mode (no manual controls, only one resolution setting, no external mic)
  • Very slow contrast detect AF in live view and movie mode
  • Comparatively small viewfinder
  • Combined battery/card compartment can make tripod use a little tricky
  • Flash less powerful than on previous Canon entry-level models
  • Slow continuous shooting in RAW mode
  • Spec-sheet a little weak compared to some competitors
Nikon D3100

Conclusion - Pros
  • Very good image quality
  • Unintimidating interface, but with plenty of manual control
  • Easily accessible Live View and Movie controls
  • Useful drive mode lever (unique on an SLR at this price level)
  • Highly sophisticated AF system for the price
  • Easy manual selection of off-centre AF points
  • Unusually fast Live View AF for an SLR (but still relatively slow compared to mirrorless competitors)
  • Lots of 'hand-holding' features for beginners (Guide mode, help screens for most functions)
  • Much improved continuous shooting performance with Active D-Lighting turned on
  • Lots of in-camera raw conversion and post-processing options
Conclusion - Cons
  • Slight tendency to overexpose in contrasty conditions
  • Buggy Live View / Movie Mode (movies aren't necessarily recorded at set aperture)
  • Crude live view magnification is of little help for critical manual focus
  • No live histogram in live view
  • AF still a little sluggish in live view mode, full-time AF not very effective in live view or movies
  • Only direct external ISO control is via slightly inconveniently-placed 'Fn' button
  • ISO is only displayed in viewfinder when it's being changed (and not at all in Auto ISO)
  • Auto ISO logic is not well-suited for everyday casual shooting (good for action though)
  • White balance often excessively orange under artificial light
  • No exposure bracketing
  • Will not focus all Nikon lenses (though most popular choices are available)

Good information there. I am currently using a Sony a200 that I barrowed from a friend.
3 lenses
A 18-35
A 28-70
A 77-300

Don't know the brands off hand..

How would this compare to the before mentioned cameras

I am currently messing with the Sony a200 mentioned above and a Nikon a100 that I barrowed from my father in law.
Nikon lenses
35-70, 3.3-5.6
70-300, 3.8-5.6 I believe

Of the 2 the Sony is much easier and much faster to use so far.
The autofocus seems faster and the pictures clearer.
I know this is an older Nikon but is the same to be expected from the newer models.

Also I like the twist zoom on the Sony lenses, the Nikon lenses are a pull/push telescopic type lense. Are newer lenses from nikkor still using this pull/push type zoom?

www.NikonUSA.com for info about newer Nikon lenses.

Did you know Sony has only been in the DSLR business since mid 2006, which is when they bought the camera and film business of Konica Minolta. Sony then continued development of cameras that are compatible with Minolta autofocus lenses. It is only recently that Sony has been offering cameras and lenses that aren't just refinements of Konica Minolta gear.

Nikon never made an a100. They did make a D100, from January 2002 until the end of the 3rd quarter of 2005, pre-dating Sony's entry to the DSLR market.

Do you intend to do this professionally or is it just photos of your family, vacations, etc?
You sound more serious about it than the average family shooter in which case I'd jump right out of the D3100 and go for the D5100 at the VERY least in Nikon. There are so many improvements from the D3100 to the D5100 that is is ridiculous. The D3100 is basically a step above a bridge camera-you can change lenses on it and use many of the Nikon lenses on it, but it has some real limits and is aimed at the family snapshot shooter.

I'd also keep away from the T3 and go with at the very least the T2i from Canon if that is where you are feeling the better fit. The T3 is Canon's equivalent to the D3100...

Sony has some great cameras and they'd be my 3rd brand choice if you are considering taking this to a high/professional level.

If you are wanting the most bang for your buck as a family/vacation/hobby shooter Pentax has the best entry level cameras. They aren't stripped down like Canon and Nikon's entry. You get a bit limited when you want to go into the profession with Pentax's higher end cameras. If you're serious I'd then go back to Nikon and Canon.

I guess I am a little more serious then some but not as some others.
I will check out the other recommendations when I get to my laptop. I already have a decent tripod and have been doing things with my other outdated cameras that I didn't even know they could do.

The Sony I am using has 1 Sony lense and 2 Minolta lenses.
They seem great when compared to the Nikon lenses on the d100

Well I am Canon all the way. But from what I have read, Canon is superior in its lenses and Nikon is superior in its focusing. I don't use Nikon though, so I can't personally atest to that

looking at and comparing the nikon d5100 to a canon t2i
price is similar(locally i can get a refurbished d5100 for 50 less then the canon)
they seem comparable in almost every way but megapixels and a few other things that i really don't know about.

any good sites that compare them?

also compared the d3100 to the d5100, again i see the hdr feature being nice, the extra megapixels might help out.

love the d5100 screen variable features!

breakdown of prices that i can find all including the respectfully 18-55 lenses

d3100, $500 factory refurb, $600 new
t3, $550 new
d5100, $650 factory refurb, $800 new
t2i, $700 new

No need to be rude!

Good info there, great benefits to the Nikon! That might sway my choice!

Looking like a d5100 mite be in my future

Any thoughts about factory refurbished products?

Most reactions

Back