I am officially outsourcing!!!

Spray and pray isn't even a thing, geez. You guys are talking about it like there are some LOSERS who just close their eyes and wave the camera around, and then there are COOL KIDS who, like a sniper, take one exposure for every shot they're going to need, no more, no less. The implication, of course, is that I am a COOL KID and you are a LOSER.

Do you take more pictures than you eventually wind up showing the client?

Sorry if the definition hasn't made it into webster's yet, but yes there are people that don't know what they are doing who just take a ton of photos and pray one comes out good.

The point is that it's a spectrum. Everyone sprays and prays to some greater or lesser degree, at least some of the time. There are circumstances where the process is different, but weddings are not among them.

Dang I would have done it! Editing is my favorite part of photography.

I agree with that statement, and that was why I pointed out that some spray and pray but then there are others who know what they are doing who will take a lot of shots to get that one right moment. has nothing to do with being cool and being a loser. it comes down to a person with experience versus someone who's just guesing.

the diffrence to me is person A shooting and hoping they get one good one in focus and exposure that is acceptable versus person B who will get all the shots relatively in focus and exposed properly but takes a bunch to get the perfect moment.

Some people take more pictures, some people take fewer. Some people take a higher percentage of good ones, some people take a lower percentage. These two are, at best, loosely correlated.

This doesn't sound nearly as cool as "professionals are basically photo ninjas, and this is basically what separates professionals (i.e. me) from amateurs (i.e. you)" but it more accurately represents reality.

The point is that it's a spectrum. Everyone sprays and prays to some greater or lesser degree, at least some of the time. There are circumstances where the process is different, but weddings are not among them.

NO.. NOT everyone! lol! That is a untrue generalization... and those are often (usually) incorrect! Even one person who doesn't do as the generalization assumes, disproves the generalization.

Gee, you presume to explain the difference between existential and universal quantifiers to a mathematician? Bold.

You are claiming that there exists at least a single wedding photographer who takes one (1) exposure only for every necessary shot, every shot to be given to the client? Really? That's rhetorical, don't even bother replying.

Too much text book knowledge not enough hands on experience.

Gee, you presume to explain the difference between existential and universal quantifiers to a mathematician? Bold.

You are claiming that there exists at least a single wedding photographer who takes one (1) exposure only for every necessary shot, every shot to be given to the client? Really? That's rhetorical, don't even bother replying.

Oh.. and EVERY photographers just puts the camera in HIGH FPS, and just pushes down the the shutter button? Really? That's rhetorical, don't even bother replying.

I've heard of outsourcing working but none of the photographers I know, including myself, have had success with it. I already know I can do better than most labs, right down to head swaps. And if there's a few images I can't do, I can send them to a specialty lab that takes small orders. If you're booked 10 hours a day every day, then yes outsourcing is worth it. But if you actually have time to edit and just don't want to, then it's not worth it. The reason most people struggle is because their captures aren't perfect and they have no system for editing. Those are fixable problems. One, become a better photographer. Two, get a system for processing.

I used to think weddings had to take weeks, until I learned the secrets. First, shoot with the final product in mind. Get the best capture in camera to minimize the work in post. This is the one fewest photographers do, and it's easier said than done. Then, I have presets and actions set up to help me. And there's a very important tool that can cut your editing in half: a shortcut keyboard. They're about $400, but once you have it set up, you can just punch buttons and edit images in seconds. Many pros get their weddings done in a day this way. Most pros won't spend more than five minutes on an image. If you're taking longer, look at ways to cut time. The key is having a vision, perfect captures, and using the right tools in post.

This sounds a lot like the system Doug Gordon lectures about. He advocates NOT automatically shooting doubles on each pose, but instead, getting each frame RIGHT, in-camera. And editing FAST using a shortcut keyboard and loads of carefully selected presets, like the Kevin Kubota collection ones. Watching his retouching/optimizing,cropping on-line is amazing to see how FAST he is.

Oh.. and EVERY photographers just puts the camera in HIGH FPS, and just pushes down the the shutter button? Really? That's rhetorical, don't even bother replying.

Charlie, either you really don't understand what I have said, which is a shame because it's not very complicated, OR you're just making up dumb stuff you wish I had said, so you can rebut that. Either way, I can't really help you out.

Most reactions

Back