I am thinking of buying something...

Abby Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of buying something new, just to branch out a little. I've thought it out, and here's what I'm most interested in:

A polarizing filter - I've never had any kind of filter before and I hear these are good for landscapes and for wet days.

A nd filter - mainly, I just want to get that smooth water look in the daytime too, since I live by lake huron. You know, where the waves look like fog? I can do it at night, but to do it in the day requires a shutterspeed that makes the whole picture white. :) Same with little creeks and waterfalls. There are a few of those by my place too.

A wide angle lens - I'm interested in what they can do. I think I could have some fun with one.

A new camera - am I outgrowing my camera? I'd wait a long time, a year or two, before purcahsing one just to make sure that I want to stick with this photography thing.

Here's my problems. About the filters, it would be difficult to find a way to mount one of the better brands on my camera. Should I bother buying a cheaper one that for sure fits?

Wide angle lens problem - there are conversion wide angles lenses for my sony, but I hear that they are expensive for what they are.

New camera problem - I can't tell if I'm actual outgrowing my camera, mostly I am still happy with it but it's limitations are growing more frustrating to me. If I did start saving for a new camera, the one I went with would be an entry level DSLR. I like the feel of the canon rebel types and I've handled some of the nikon d 60 types and I like those too. However, people outgrow photography all the time. Maybe this time next year I wont give a hoot about such things. That's why I would wait up to a year or two to make such a purchase, hopefully I would know better by then.

But if I DID start saving for such a camera, would it be worth my money to buy either of the filters, or a wide angle? The ones I would get probably wouldnt work with a new camera, so I wouldnt be able to use them. If I sold my sony it wouldnt be a problem because I could sell any accessories as well, but if I kept it I'd keep them too, I think. But how much camera equipment does one with a simple photography hobby need?
:confused:

Of course, I could do what I've been doing and go back and forth and not spend anything ever. :)

I'm hoping someone here can give me an outsiders perspective.

check used if you dont wanna spend a fortune.
keh.com
adorama.com
both have great prices on used gear, and they have a good reputation.

you could score a d40 with 18-55 lens for under 400 and im sure the same applies for the canon equiv.

or keep it super cheap and grab a d100 and used 18-55.

likewise, if you purchase used whatever you cant use later will probrably get you close to or mabe even more than what you paid for it.

you wont get the full benefit of a wide angle lens on a cheap end SLR, ive got a D40 and wouldnt bother getting a wide angle until i get a full frame camera

you wont get the full benefit of a wide angle lens on a cheap end SLR, ive got a D40 and wouldnt bother getting a wide angle until i get a full frame camera

Sorry I don't agree with this statement at all. Ive used a wide angle with my D90 and it works great for landscapes and I have heard that its also useful for large group shots. And I'm sure there are others on here that would debate this fact as well.

Obviously your full potential for such a lens would be a full frame camera, but she is moving from a P&S and doesn't have the funds for full frame yet. Even with a crop factored in you can still get nice shots with a wide angle as opposed to a 70-200 or 55-200.

Here's my problems. About the filters, it would be difficult to find a way to mount one of the better brands on my camera. Should I bother buying a cheaper one that for sure fits?
Why will it be difficult to find? Doesn't Sony used standard sized filter threads? A CPL is really the first filter you should consider...... and not a cheap one either. You can get a moderately priced Hoya for example. Multi-coated, of course.

New camera problem
Not a problem. Wait and buy 'good' glass before upgrading your camera.

Rubbish.

Not a problem. Wait and buy 'good' glass before upgrading your camera.

if im not mistaken, shes currently got a P&S...
but if she does have a dslr, that's good advice fo sho:thumbup:

Sloooooooooooooooooooooow down.

Reading your post, tells me you have no clue where your state of mind may be in one years time.

In a year, if you are still into photography, you can visit these questions again.

All I would do if I was you is:
1. Save money - it is always a good idea.
2. Keep shooting, if you loose interest, refer back to #1.

Yikes! Ok...

swedberg311 said:
first of all what are u shooting with now?

Sony DSC H50, a "nicer" point and shoot. I've only had it since January, though, before that I used a little Kodak. :) Another reason why I should maybe wait.

Used, for sure! I never buy new if I can help it.

kundalini said:
Doesn't Sony used standard sized filter threads? A CPL is really the first filter you should consider

I'm not sure about other Sony cameras, but from what I've researched this one doesnt. For the life of me, I can't understand why! And what is a CPL?

Thanks everyone. :)

Sloooooooooooooooooooooow down.

Reading your post, tells me you have no clue where your state of mind may be in one years time.

In a year, if you are still into photography, you can visit these questions again.

All I would do if I was you is:
1. Save money - it is always a good idea.
2. Keep shooting, if you loose interest, refer back to #1.

All good plans. :) It's what I've been doing so far.

Have you checked out craigslist? I just scored a Canon XS with kit lens, etc for $340. That's not a lot of money to lose if you drop the hobby in a year. The XS is miles ahead of the SX120IS P&S I was shooting with before.

Abby, since you are willing to take a year to think about upgrading your camera, research mirror-less cameras i.e. Micro four thirds (M4/3).

I have ordered my second M4/3 camera this week after over a year with my Panasonic G1.

I believe mirror-less is the future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back