I am trying to understand landscape photos..so i took a couple

I agree with Derrel about looking at books on the subject, my only advice is be you I have seen people end up mimicking the expert they read. I have a brill range of books that I delve into and adapt their ideas to my style when I need to .
I am on the I pad at the mo so can’t get to the books, but I,ll look up the titles later.
i will .. i am just starting to learn about this so it will take some time and i will try to read alot.. i never really thought i would be interested in landscaping scenery but i have seen some beautiful parts to the landscape just taking bird photos.. with this i was surprised to see how breathtaking some of the lighting makes it all pop.. and i see some beauties on here... spring is here and summer is coming so this will be interesting and fun..thanks.

1-about town 019.JPG
1-about town 023.JPG
1-about town 031.JPG
i am sorry i did not have this copy to apply to settings.. because we did a really fast trip .. i did concentrate on the composition aspect .. hopefully i improved in this.. bring the photos closer..knock out some of the sky.. have something interesting for the focal point.. all this going through my head.. so i hope i got some of it right..

1&2 are my faves, in num 1 if you got rid of the sign bottom left corner it would improve it but hay you may want the sign because it tells you something. I personally try and get rid of sign wires and so on unless I am doing something that is man made and not nature. Can I as what camera lens combo you are using.
Not sure if this is land scape or just a record shot but this the sort of man made thing I shoot. 35 shots into 15 layers

Attachments

• southamption peir web.jpg
    southamption peir web.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Ok just been looking at the books I spoke about, there is a series called From snap shots to great shots...
Each book covers a different subject. I am currently using the lighting for digital photography.
I have just looked on Amazon uk they have the landscape edition for about 8GBP I find them a good reference. Hope this helps

1&2 are my faves, in num 1 if you got rid of the sign bottom left corner it would improve it but hay you may want the sign because it tells you something. I personally try and get rid of sign wires and so on unless I am doing something that is man made and not nature. Can I as what camera lens combo you are using.
Not sure if this is land scape or just a record shot but this the sort of man made thing I shoot. 35 shots into 15 layers
thank you for reply.. my program does not let me eradicate things out of the photo.. i was thinking about cropping it out but then most of the composition would have been lost..not that i care about this photo itself.. they are just practice photos.. i use the nikon d500 and tamron 18-400mm .. i think i should draw back on the zoom for landscapes.. just realized this .. and at least make an adjustment as needed.. so use to the zoom for birds.. try and get more expansion.. this is a overcast ugly kind of day too so i was a bit disappointed that i did not raise the iso a bit.. at least try it..but like i said.. too rushed today.. but will definitely be at it again soon..

Ok just been looking at the books I spoke about, there is a series called From snap shots to great shots...
Each book covers a different subject. I am currently using the lighting for digital photography.
I have just looked on Amazon uk they have the landscape edition for about 8GBP I find them a good reference. Hope this helps
yes it helps.. thanks for the info..

your Way ABOVE ME in technology ... but that is so awesome.. is this south hampton long island... i have not been there in years... love love the hamptons....never mind i see it says south hamption.. where is this..

Last edited:
I especially like No. 1.

good all around feel to it.

View attachment 172342 View attachment 172343 View attachment 172344 i am sorry i did not have this copy to apply to settings.. because we did a really fast trip .. i did concentrate on the composition aspect .. hopefully i improved in this.. bring the photos closer..knock out some of the sky.. have something interesting for the focal point.. all this going through my head.. so i hope i got some of it right..

Sometime people will say they like your photos because well the photos look ok, but one has to ask are you wanting to take ok photos or photos that are amazing ?, i have to be honest but don't be offended its just my opinion and definitely don't give up, here it goes, to me these photos are super boring they offer nothing of interest oO, you must have something around your area that is far more interesting, flowers, old car, old house, a lake, something, for me the clouds in your shot are the most interesting part and then you cut them out oO for cloudy days get your self a 10 or 15 stop filter and do a long exposure with a single tree and the whole image will be lifted, sorry i had to say such harsh things but it realy does come from trying to help you ;-)

First, before anything else, set the composition. set the horizon in the middle of the frame. during sunrise/sunset you may get the best shots.

1-1-1-DSC_7078.JPG
View attachment 172342 View attachment 172343 i had to crop this one down a bit to post on here.. View attachment 172344 i am sorry i did not have this copy to apply to settings.. because we did a really fast trip .. i did concentrate on the composition aspect .. hopefully i improved in this.. bring the photos closer..knock out some of the sky.. have something interesting for the focal point.. all this going through my head.. so i hope i got some of it right..

Sometime people will say they like your photos because well the photos look ok, but one has to ask are you wanting to take ok photos or photos that are amazing ?, i have to be honest but don't be offended its just my opinion and definitely don't give up, here it goes, to me these photos are super boring they offer nothing of interest oO, you must have something around your area that is far more interesting, flowers, old car, old house, a lake, something, for me the clouds in your shot are the most interesting part and then you cut them out oO for cloudy days get your self a 10 or 15 stop filter and do a long exposure with a single tree and the whole image will be lifted, sorry i had to say such harsh things but it realy does come from trying to help you ;-)
can i say something.. i find them a bit boring too.. all of them... i needed extra time and i could have done a bit better.. i really want honesty.. and i really appreciate others opinions of everything i shoot.. that helps me to improve because i need to be reminded that there are other options available that i am not aware of.. this is a whole new adventure/ landscapes and waterscapes.. sure i have taken alot of photos over the years.. i love this one but i bet theres alot wrong with this one too.. please tell me what you can find wrong with it.. i am learning..believe me your not hurting my feelings..you are helping me to understand.

First, before anything else, set the composition. set the horizon in the middle of the frame. during sunrise/sunset you may get the best shots.
thank you

For me sitting for a horizon all depends on the sky at the time if there's no cloud and is a boring sky there is no point of having half the picture of blue sky, the area that you shot in the photo above, seems like it could be a really interesting area but keep power lines out of your shot and that modern boat sticks out like a sore thumb

Landscape photography, in my opinion, is one of the hardest to present.
Wildlife is easy as most viewers just pay attention to the animal. Portraiture, the scene tends to be setup by the photographer.
Landscape ... well you get what you see ... and most often you see something that says, yeah take a picture, then you realized all this other junk in the shot that you didn't pay attention to.
I find that their is more juggling involved in getting a good/great landscape image ... many many things have to play/compliment eachother. Often times I see something that looks cool, then I have to stop and see what else is there ... or what else could be there at a different time of day ... or even day of the year.
Yes, it ain't easy.
When you do find a scene that looks ok, look around. Take a shot, then come back at a different time when the lighting is different ... or even contemplate what it looks like in a different season, then take that image.
When I frequent someplace often enough I "know" when it is time to take it's picture.
Blah, blah ... just admit you ain't going to be a landscape photographer in a day, and just keep shooting away.
Oh, and Derrel mentioned focal lengths ... Landscapes can be shot with any focal length, not just the wide that tends to be shown most of the time.
Just a mental trick ... look at everything in the scene except the thing that attracted your attention, then see if it works ... if not, change your view point, or change up focal length, start walking around with one eye closed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back