I am trying to understand landscape photos..so i took a couple

I guess landscapes are more about slowing everything down rather than shooting everything fast and wide open, most landscapes are shot between f4 - f8 and I hardy never go anywhere without a 10 stop filter

Landscapes can be tricky. Are we interested most in the physical setting/place? The light? Unusual weather ( snow,ice, fog,rai, wind)? The exotic nature of the place (Sahara, Egypt, Sri Lanka). Landscapes can be a difficult field of endeavor.

Landscape photography, in my opinion, is one of the hardest to present.
Wildlife is easy as most viewers just pay attention to the animal. Portraiture, the scene tends to be setup by the photographer.
Landscape ... well you get what you see ... and most often you see something that says, yeah take a picture, then you realized all this other junk in the shot that you didn't pay attention to.
I find that their is more juggling involved in getting a good/great landscape image ... many many things have to play/compliment eachother. Often times I see something that looks cool, then I have to stop and see what else is there ... or what else could be there at a different time of day ... or even day of the year.
Yes, it ain't easy.
When you do find a scene that looks ok, look around. Take a shot, then come back at a different time when the lighting is different ... or even contemplate what it looks like in a different season, then take that image.
When I frequent someplace often enough I "know" when it is time to take it's picture.
Blah, blah ... just admit you ain't going to be a landscape photographer in a day, and just keep shooting away.
Oh, and Derrel mentioned focal lengths ... Landscapes can be shot with any focal length, not just the wide that tends to be shown most of the time.
Just a mental trick ... look at everything in the scene except the thing that attracted your attention, then see if it works ... if not, change your view point, or change up focal length, start walking around with one eye closed.
thank you for all this information.. it wows me .... i believe you are right.. landscapes are harder.. i am definitely used to looking at one thing.. and most times the rest of the picture does not matter because in bird .. wildlife photography we crop it all out.. so limited in landscape scenes.. thanks again.. i am learning alot in this thread and i thank you all

Landscapes can be tricky. Are we interested most in the physical setting/place? The light? Unusual weather ( snow,ice, fog,rai, wind)? The exotic nature of the place (Sahara, Egypt, Sri Lanka). Landscapes can be a difficult field of endeavor.
wow i am finding this out quick..

For me sitting for a horizon all depends on the sky at the time if there's no cloud and is a boring sky there is no point of having half the picture of blue sky, the area that you shot in the photo above, seems like it could be a really interesting area but keep power lines out of your shot and that modern boat sticks out like a sore thumb
whats wrong with a modern boat.. lol

For me sitting for a horizon all depends on the sky at the time if there's no cloud and is a boring sky there is no point of having half the picture of blue sky, the area that you shot in the photo above, seems like it could be a really interesting area but keep power lines out of your shot and that modern boat sticks out like a sore thumb
you are a cloud man.. that much i have learned...lol.. i love a vivid robust bouncy fluffy cloudy blue sky too.. around here i am also happy with plain blue... we have 7 months of winter and bla dismal skies.. so i take what i can get.. are you in sunny New Zealand.. i know alot of folks there love old cars.. because we sent a few classic car parts there.. ...?

Hey you have season's also ... you just have to know how/when to take advantage.
Watch the clouds, watch the sun, shadows, colour of light, reflection of light ...

Elora
by Dennis, on Flickr
oh so beautiful... those clouds are awesome.. but the whole scene is just gorgeous...

I noticed the clouds ... then I noticed the buildings against the river ... then I started walking until both collided in the scene that I envisioned.
Though sometimes there are obstacles in the way and you just can't get it all right ... I just lucked out that there was a dam that I could stand on.
The buildings on the river just didn't cut it ... and just the sky didn't work ... I "knew" it had to be both.

I tried to get some beautiful clouds the other day.. believe me i notice them.. but it takes more then clouds to make a great photo.. this was mine..just want to prove to you all just how much i love an exciting sky.. just need to get the big picture right.
1-1-1-out and about 006.JPG
1-outside 001.JPG
1-sky and brids 061.JPG

Yes, great clouds.
You just needed the rest of the scene to compliment it ... like a vacant building ... drive around until you see the rest of it.

House
by Dennis, on Flickr

Another example of Derrel's point (in a way ... kinda, ok I may be stretching it, but I thought I would give him credits) ... correction ... I was mistaken, same lens same focal length.

I thought the cliffs and water were really cool to take pictures of ... but I think this image is boring

Bruce Cliff
by Dennis, on Flickr

I turned around and switched out the lens ... it was the rock and trees I actually liked better

Bruce
by Dennis, on Flickr

Last edited:
I tried to get some beautiful clouds the other day.. believe me i notice them.. but it takes more then clouds to make a great photo.. this was mine..just want to prove to you all just how much i love an exciting sky.. just need to get the big picture right.

I really like the first one's composition but my nitpicks would be that I'd lose the vignette and the foreground is a little fuzzy. I like the third one too but it could be a little brighter and I wish the bird was in the top left quadrant instead of bullseyed. I am a fan of treetops w/sky pictures. You've definitely improved just in the course of this thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back