I am very confused, please help

dslfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I own a very typical compact camera (sony W170) and i want to go one step further,
so i was looking for a new one.

I decide to buy Nikon Coolpix L840 (which is coming these days aprox 198 euro) and i was 99% sure for that.
Yesterday i found Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 in 169 euro and as i see in details this camera is very attractive about what you get in zoom, raw format and some others.
Wifi and nfc is a good option but my 1st criteria is to have good pictures day or night.
I read somewhere that FZ70 has bad sensors, (or more bad than L840) is that true?

I like to upgrade with a better camera cause i want to take photos of my 2 years old daughter so i use for baby portrait and for holidays.
I am not a professional and i will not be in the future.
I just dont want to have a better option and waste a good option due to i am irrelevant with photo cameras...

Can somebody help me?

Thanks Jim

the L840 appears to take nice photos and i think its probably going to be a better camera than that panasonic. i do not think there is a problem with the sensor on that camera, small cameras have small sensors and some cameras do have better sensors than others.

if you do not need allot of zoom and do not mind a used camera look for a used canon G15 or G16, those take excellent photos and you can get used ones for a pretty nice price from what i have seen. i used to own the G16 and the image quality was almost as good as a DSLR but it only had 5X zoom,, which was not enough zoom for me so i ended up selling it.

My personal opinion,and some gear geeks may disagree with me, is that it is very difficult to buy a bad camera these days.
The Lumix IN MY OPINION is absolutely fine if you take the time to learn how to make a good photograph.
So is the Nikon and anything else you might be looking at.
Buy something within your budget and learn how to use it.
That means boring yourself with the manual and perhaps looking at videos to learn basic photography skills which are way more important than whatever camera you might be using.
Don't be a gear geek. Learn the basics and the camera won't matter.
I promise.

Last edited:
thanks for your reply,
so you thing that Nikon L840 is a better choice concerning the fact of the best results?
Zoom of Nikon is quite enough for me, of course Lumix is more than enough.
The point is that Lumix offers better Zoom and less money than Nikon, so if the photo quality
is same or close to that, i am thinking to buy Lumix.

Canon G15 is difficult to find so thats a second or third option.

Compare to both cameras, which one will you choose if you want to take the best shots
in portrait or for general use?

They will all take good shots.
I promise you that's the truth.
Jimi Hendrix played a Fender most of the time,Duane Allman played a Les Paul most of the time.
Both of them were good guitar players and it was nothing more than a personal preference.
Buy what you can afford and learn how to use it.

so i propably choose Lumix, is 30 euros less...
thanks for your answers, really appreciated :)

That lumix is actually pretty nice, i just did some research on the camera and it seems like a very good choice for the money. crazy amount of zoom, i am thinking i would probably get that one. i cant find anything about the sensor being bad online.. there does not seem to be any problem with the sensors.. i think you would be very happy with that camera.

i think that nikon is more new age camera than lumix, but lumix even it is 2 years old model is ahead compare these two models.
Thanks for your amswer too.

I agree with others both will take good photos. I have an older Nikon P510 and love it as a light carry around camera. One of the main features that made me select it at the time was the viewfinder. It has one like the Lumix you are looking for has one. the Nikon does not. I find I will use it quite often outdoors particularly in bright sunlight or winter shots where seeing the screen can be difficult. Just something to consider.

My friend Matt Vega graduated from Harvard University and is an amazing artist.
He shoots nothing but Panasonic.
It's not always the arrow,most of the time it's the Indian.
(God,I hope that didn't sound racist because it wasn't my intent)

I agree with others both will take good photos. I have an older Nikon P510 and love it as a light carry around camera. One of the main features that made me select it at the time was the viewfinder. It has one like the Lumix you are looking for has one. the Nikon does not. I find I will use it quite often outdoors particularly in bright sunlight or winter shots where seeing the screen can be difficult. Just something to consider.

Nikon L840 was very attractive, due to the wi-fi and the nfc and some others nice features but finally i can live without wi-fi, traditional cable is just fine. I thought that the point should be to have the best result, so if you want to work with a raw format this camera should be the first choice in this money.

I am quite sure that in 180 euros (very good price drop) FZ72 is one way!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back