I am very much a beginner and would like some advice and opinions on my photos please

Fixed that for you.

Step your game up before you ever consider calling someone else's work terrible.

My appreciation of other's work is independent from my own. Once again, she asked for advice and opinions and I offered both. They are comments of love, given in the hopes that she can improve her work. I wouldn't spend this much time with someone I don't think can improve. I am actually very impressed with "dog on porch", which I mentioned earlier, and "wicker chair" (please name or number to avoid confusion).

I both expect and appreciate the same kind of honesty with my work.

I am aware that I need to improve my own work. I have owned my 60D with the kit 18-200 for almost a year now and I'm sure it's still capable of taking better photographs than I am.

If you would like to discuss this further, please message me or start a new thread, so we can focus on helping dezzyrawrz in this thread.

Last edited:
im right outa highschool my car just got fixed so im a get a loan to go take classes of photography in college, thanks for the advice and i have my eye set for a nikon d3200 and im hoping to get it soon but i will see the carmera you are talking about and give it a look and read up on it :p i am very much hoping to make a career out of photography it has been my dream since i was a child my parents always toold me its not aa real job and wouldnt help me with getting the stuff now that im out of there house im hoping to become professional, i was always told i shouldnt do it and blahblah but this is my dream and photography is a real job and its harder then most people realize but i have my heart and soul in this and i am going to try so hard to do what i was always told i couldnt do i love photography and nothing will ever cchange that

dessyrawrz: if you want to be a professional photographer, there are two aspect to that - one is technical, one is business. The technical side is, in many ways, the easier to learn. However, to make a living at doing photography is much harder. Many photographers charging money for their work are actually only semi-professional in that it is money that they make on the side, as a supplement to their "real" income or job. If your goal is to truly make a living at photography, then you are better off learning about business and administration, as real professional photographers spend maybe only 20% on the photography, and 80% on the other activities of marketing, selling, administration, accounting and bookkeeping, training, maintenance, and so on. If you can't or don't want to be bothered by all that business stuff, then you'll have to work for someone else as a photographer, and basically do what you are told to do by your employer. Many of us are doing photography as an enjoyable hobby, something we come back to when we want to relax or have fun. Your parents may have some concerns for you (well all parents do) and they want you to be financially secure. Running your own business as a photographer can be brutally tough. Actually running almost any small business is brutally tough. Unfortunately, the realities of that kind of life don't reveal themselves until you're into it. I'm not trying to discourage your efforts, rather to tell you that to do what you want to do will take a lot more than just getting good at photography.

There are two types people who surround themselves with students; those who wish to dominate, and those who wish to learn. Someone who says your images are no good wants to dominate you for personal gain. He might even be jealous. Ignore those people; they have nothing to teach. Actually, you have a good sense of shape, color and these are better than many amateur shots. I think you can learn. Nose shots don't work though. Texture shots and patterns are fun and nice, but they're also a bit easy. Throw a subject into the texture or pattern. Also, if you photograph people, they're paying you to make them look good, not the pattern of the surface behind them. Don't do nose shot.

My appreciation of other's work is independent from my own. Once again, she asked for advice and opinions and I offered both. They are comments of love, given in the hopes that she can improve her work. I wouldn't spend this much time with someone I don't think can improve. I am actually very impressed with "dog on porch", which I mentioned earlier, and "wicker chair" (please name or number to avoid confusion).

I both expect and appreciate the same kind of honesty with my work.

I am aware that I need to improve my own work. I have owned my 60D with the kit 18-200 for almost a year now and I'm sure it's still capable of taking better photographs than I am.

If you would like to discuss this further, please message me or start a new thread, so we can focus on helping dezzyrawrz in this thread.

I know - It's for her own good right?. She needs to develop thick skin right? Sure.

I can think of many different ways of telling someone that they need practice to improve.

"These images could be better, here's how you could improve these images"
"The subject matters you used are tough to make interesting, here's a few ideas to try"
"I can't say I like these images. Here's why"

Fact of the matter is, you added that your brain was filled with conceited greatness. That tells me only one thing. You think that your photography is great,
and you have this self entitled authority to put others down.

You don't want to be scrutinized and dissected publicly on a forum? Tell people their images are terrible in a condescending manner via PM. This is supposed to be a community!
I'm not saying that you have to agree with everyone, or like anything put up. Hell, I'm in an argument every other day in here. But I would never, EVER, come into a thread and just
drag someone through the mud especially if they are new just because I don't like their images. We are supposed to be helping each other reach our full potential not tearing each other down.
Be a member that people hope to see in their threads, not roll their eyes when they read your name and expect nonsense before they read your post.

They are all terrible. Trash can? Bus stop? Rock salt? If you can't grow facial hair, please don't try.

This is what an abusive spouse calls "love".

Last edited:
im right outa highschool my car just got fixed so im a get a loan to go take classes of photography in college, thanks for the advice and i have my eye set for a nikon d3200 and im hoping to get it soon but i will see the carmera you are talking about and give it a look and read up on it :p i am very much hoping to make a career out of photography it has been my dream since i was a child my parents always toold me its not aa real job and wouldnt help me with getting the stuff now that im out of there house im hoping to become professional, i was always told i shouldnt do it and blahblah but this is my dream and photography is a real job and its harder then most people realize but i have my heart and soul in this and i am going to try so hard to do what i was always told i couldnt do i love photography and nothing will ever cchange that

I'm guessing you are replying to my post as it answers some of the comments I made. :thumbup:

Well it sounds like you know what direction you want to go; which is good; so many your age are not as set in their direction .

Just be careful not to get in over your head in debt taking on a huge loan, or get suckered into one of those schools which want to express your way through and charge 20-30 grand. There are a lot of financial aid packages available in your community or State colleges you may want to talk to a school counselor about the best path. It may take a bit longer but in the end it’s worth it.

Follow your passion but like some here have mentioned there is a lot of other factors involved like business, advertising, and running a business. I think their advice is worth thinking about in conjunction with your photography.

If you could get a job with a photographer and learn the ropes along with your schooling that would be prime as you would learn so much. Commercial photography may a route to get your skills, it may not be the artistic avenue you seek but it might pay the bills.
You are not the only kid in America whose parents don’t like the choices their kids make. As a parent of 2 young people myself, I can understand the fear you parents may have expressed to you about your decision. But be aware; it’s done out of love. Go to www.roadtripnation.com and watch some of the videos about kids just out of high school breaking away to pursue their dreams. It’s very inspirational.

Just last night my husband and I were discussing our youngest and the fact he works at Disneyland as a ride operator and Knott’s Berry farm as a train bandit. My husband is like “the boy needs to go out and get a {real} job” and I’m like geez he’s only 21 and likes what he’s doing.. so what! Let him enjoy life for a few years. Now I’d worry if he was 30 something and still working as a ride operator. But what I’m trying to say is it’s OK to follow your own path and pursue your dreams.

If you were to say to the parents well my major is Photography but I am going to minor in business they may come around to your way of thinking.

Again, good luck and I wish you the best of luck.

Black and white is not for beginners. A considerable knowledge of tones and familiarity with postprocessing is necessary to get quality black and whites. I can't say that I have seen very many great black and white shots on this or several other sites.

Black and white is not for beginners.
Sure it is.

A considerable knowledge of tones and familiarity with postprocessing is necessary to get quality black and whites. I can't say that I have seen very many great black and white shots on this or several other sites.
How do you people see where you are going with your nose so high in the air?

Pgriz

I just don't plan on going into photogrpahy i know its hard to make a full time job out of it but i am still going to try hard as hell to make it a great part time job. I also want to go to college for my business degree, peircings license, and whatever i need to open up a peircing shop which i want to be my other job, owning a peircing shop. (thats been my dream too since i was quite little). I don't ever plan on giving up photography i have considered making a book of photohraphs and writing poetry under each one to give others the idea of what beauty comes out of it.
I know i set my goals high in life but i'd rather set them high then never set any at all. I thank you for your concern and advice I do very much appreicaite it.

hirejn

The nose shot was me just goofing around i found humor in it.
Also, I find the people who hate my work the people whom can help my the most because if everyone loved it then there'd be something wrong you are always going to find people who love your work just as much as people are going to hate it and think what the hell was she/he thinking when taking this photo, I don't mind being criticized, all feedback is good to me.

Ballistics

I do agree with you on how he approached it, It was a little harsh but i don't mind.
Thanks for your opinions.

Biker_chic

I can promise you i will not get over my head in debt. I have been looking at so many different school for two years now, i haven't chosen one yet but when i do i will get financial aid considering mothers who go to college seem to get the best financial aids. Yet like i said to pgriz i don't just plan on doing photography i want to also go to school for business degree and peircing licensing and whatever else ill need to own a peircing shop, i had that dream since i was little too my parents always shot it down. haha
But I get where they are coming from now i too have a son 9 months old today, little young but im sure ill always be worried and what not like my parents too.

Thank you for your luck and i appreciate your time to help me :D

$DSCN2048.JPG

Ok so, you talked about how your images brought the beauty out in everything.
Can you articulate what you feel is the beauty that you have brought out in this image above?

i find that the road itself is beautiful, plus the edge of the road on the left gives it character. It's nothing fancy i took that yesterday though before i got all those amazing tips to improve i just thought i'd throw it on here

Most reactions

New Topics

Back