I can't for the life of me......

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Get my colors right!! Colors are different when i export from lightroom and open in Photoshop. Then they are different when i upload to facebook. Please help. How do i fix my color settings? I think this is jsut a recent thing unless I haven't noticed before. Also.. when i export to FB the magentas are out in full force! Is this a facebook thing? Anyways... Please CC

:/ My photos look really dull and dingy because I have to desaturate the magentas so much.

2useu5y.jpg

Make sure your camera is set to sRGB and save the JPEG as sRGB. That is your best bet.

are you uploading using the high quality settings on FB or the quick setting? The quick uploading option will compress the hell out of your photo and make it look cheap. I would say upload to flickr and see how the colors look. Flickr does not alter the photos in the same way as the FB uploader.

Make sure your camera is set to sRGB and save the JPEG as sRGB. That is your best bet.

I think photoshop automatically does this when saving it as a JPEG, it selects RGB for me and I'm assuming that's the same thing. I don't have any problem when uploading to facebook so not sure what is going on there. What is your facebook page Sabrina?

If you want to get good photo on facebook: Save with 720 pixel wide sRGB. Then when you upload it, select high resolution file.

I think photoshop automatically does this when saving it as a JPEG, it selects RGB for me and I'm assuming that's the same thing. I don't have any problem when uploading to facebook so not sure what is going on there. What is your facebook page Sabrina?

Her sig has an FB url

Thanks all. I do save as sRGB in photoshop...let me check the settings for LR. Is there a difference between 8 bits/16 bits/ and 32 bits? Ill probably google it but if anyone knows at the top of their head thanks! I also do upload in HQ when uploading on facebook. Also.. I have a file open in photoshop and it says RGB/8. Does it matter if it doesn't have the "s"?
Does the girl look magenta to you?

Oh...i have to update my facebook link. Its facebook.com/crazybeautifulportraits

That is because Lightroom uses ProPhoto. There is no option to use sRGB or anything else. Only ProPhoto in Lightroom.
ProPhoto is the largest gamut colorspace, so as you are exporting and opening in photoshop it sounds as if photoshop is ASSIGNING the colorspace as sRGB instead of converting it.
You could easily solve this problem by changing your photoshop to work in ProPhoto, but the problems there are many: Most to none of the monitors on the market can display all of the ProPhoto gamut. You can't print with your professional printer or a lab in prophoto, so eventually you will have to convert it anyway.

This is where I ran into too much trouble with Lightroom for it to be worth the headache for me. You cannot make your images in sRGB look the same as in ProPhoto RGB. There is just LESS information in sRGB gamut and it can't look the same. You can't make a gallon of gas out of a quart. You MUST be aware when working in LR of the clipping of the pure colors that will occur when you convert it. In the export menu there is an option to convert to sRGB. Be aware of how it will convert and look. If you are creating incredibly vibrant photos with a lot of high end pure colors your photos may well get a washed out look when converting.

Which is why I gave up and just use Adobe Camera Raw. ACR is the exact same engine as LR for the raw editing. Bridge does all LR does in cataloging, just not as intuitively. Open bridge and view your images and you can do all the same stuff as LR, only you work in the colorspace you choose.

EDIT TO ADD: You'll want 8-bit if you are doing any editing and or saving to jpeg. 16-bit and higher cannot be pixel edited or saved as jpegs.

That is because Lightroom uses ProPhoto. There is no option to use sRGB or anything else. Only ProPhoto in Lightroom.
ProPhoto is the largest gamut colorspace, so as you are exporting and opening in photoshop it sounds as if photoshop is ASSIGNING the colorspace as sRGB instead of converting it.
You could easily solve this problem by changing your photoshop to work in ProPhoto, but the problems there are many: Most to none of the monitors on the market can display all of the ProPhoto gamut. You can't print with your professional printer or a lab in prophoto, so eventually you will have to convert it anyway.

This is where I ran into too much trouble with Lightroom for it to be worth the headache for me. You cannot make your images in sRGB look the same as in ProPhoto RGB. There is just LESS information in sRGB gamut and it can't look the same. You can't make a gallon of gas out of a quart. You MUST be aware when working in LR of the clipping of the pure colors that will occur when you convert it. In the export menu there is an option to convert to sRGB. Be aware of how it will convert and look. If you are creating incredibly vibrant photos with a lot of high end pure colors your photos may well get a washed out look when converting.

Which is why I gave up and just use Adobe Camera Raw. ACR is the exact same engine as LR for the raw editing. Bridge does all LR does in cataloging, just not as intuitively. Open bridge and view your images and you can do all the same stuff as LR, only you work in the colorspace you choose.

EDIT TO ADD: You'll want 8-bit if you are doing any editing and or saving to jpeg. 16-bit and higher cannot be pixel edited or saved as jpegs.

hmmm what version LR do you have? I have LR3 and there is SRGB in the dropdown menu for colorspace when exporting. My photos default to this when exporting i can see now... so I don't know what the issue is :/

Anyways thanks for the info! Very good to know... all of it.

I think your photos on facebook look fine... maybe you are being a perfectionist which is not a bad trait for a photographer.

hmmm what version LR do you have? I have LR3 and there is SRGB in the dropdown menu for colorspace when exporting. My photos default to this when exporting i can see now... so I don't know what the issue is :/

Anyways thanks for the info! Very good to know... all of it.

Yes, when EXPORTING you can export to sRGB, but you cannot WORK in sRGB and they will look slightly different.

Good lighting and posing on this photo. Looks excellent on the web, using OS X and Safari on large Cinema Display.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back