I can't say that I understand why I did this...

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...but I did.

Dirty%20Sink%20-%20012.jpg

c/c welcome if you feel so... inclined.

:lol:

Exactly... my thought was "Manson" has been here.... lol!

i don't know that this has enough tonal range for an effective black and white conversion.

aside from that, it's sort of... of nothing. but like you said, you aren't sure why you did it...

i don't know that this has enough tonal range for an effective black and white conversion.

aside from that, it's sort of... of nothing. but like you said, you aren't sure why you did it...

that is part of the strength of it....

what do you feel are the strengths of it?

It has few strengths.. except for the very ordinary look of it, badly shot, poorly lit. It does look like a crime scene photo.. and the mess / disarrangement implies possible violence and mayhem. if you aren't from the US, you may not get my meaning...

This definitely looks like a modern photograph in the style of "it's so banal, it's art". This is a real thing, and sometimes it works.

Not convinced it works here, though. Usually the banal stuff works because it's commenting on something. The best this has is some sort of a visual joke in the tipped over soap container, I think. As a series documenting something larger, but banal "man's trudge through the morning to his job" or something, it might be a successful element?

what do you feel are the strengths of it?

It has few strengths.. except for the very ordinary look of it, badly shot, poorly lit. It does look like a crime scene photo.. and the mess / disarrangement implies possible violence and mayhem. if you aren't from the US, you may not get my meaning...

i think that message could have been enhanced by upping the blacks... adding some grain. something to creatively enhance that feel would have made it more effective in my mind. as it is now, it sort of feels like a photo about nothing which i think makes sense given that the photographer can't quite identify why they did it either. to each his own, though.

This definitely looks like a modern photograph in the style of "it's so banal, it's art". This is a real thing, and sometimes it works.

Not convinced it works here, though. Usually the banal stuff works because it's commenting on something. The best this has is some sort of a visual joke in the tipped over soap container, I think. As a series documenting something larger, but banal "man's trudge through the morning to his job" or something, it might be a successful element?

i agree, thematically that would be of interest. i don't feel that's executed in this example.

Ah, this is the "before" picture. Chris wanted to show his wife that he actually did clean the sink. So he needed proof of what it looked like before he applied his skills.:biggrin:

:lol: more discussion than I expected.

I actually agree with the contrast thing. I was having a tough time getting the lighting I wanted because it's SUCH a small space and the reflection of the light sources (any light source) was sort of unavoidable. Probably with something more primitive and perhaps a tripod.

I also think my DOF was way too shallow. I wanted more of the sink fixture in focus.

I liked the idea to grit up the photo by the way- I hadn't thought of that. I usually shy away from post-processing, but that sometimes makes me not even think of really good times to take advantage of it.

BTW, Manson loved his softsoap. :)

Where this all came from was I was sorta staring at the pattern of those tiles and how they worked with the curve of the sink and thought it was interesting. Compound that with the unfortunate state of our bathroom... which is just that the bathroom is such a wreck that my wife and I hate it so much that we don't even like cleaning it up. It's a mess. (yes, we DO clean it up... but it does go through a day here and there where it's sorta icky)

Interesting comments, folks. Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back