I can't stand Sony cameras, but..

I believe these new Sony SLT are mirrorless, that's why they use electronic viewfinder.
SLT = Single Lens Translucent. The "translucent" part indicating the mirror specification. The whole point of having a pellicle mirror is that you can have a real view finder without the mirror having to flip up for each shot. It's one less thing to break, it gives you faster FPS performance, requires no viewfinder black-out and is much quieter.

Well the viewfinder itself isn't optical. I don't really understand why they would still do this. Its just another P&S feature, away from classic SLR cameras.

Well the viewfinder itself isn't optical. I don't really understand why they would still do this. Its just another P&S feature, away from classic SLR cameras.
That's exactly my point. Sony could have reaped all of these benefits of having a pellicle mirror, but, instead, they neutered the camera by using an EVF.

Last edited:
That's exactly my point. Sony could have reaped all of these benefits of having a pellicle mirror and then they went a neutered the camera instead by using an EVF.
Ah k, sorry if i misunderstood you :)

Gotta' have something "new" to sell to the Digital Adams...this could be a big seller for Sony...they have the power to flood the market with whatever tripe they dream up..they can force the big box stores to handle their products...

For IdahoPhoto- the Sony a100 does have a DOF button, and is well built, they dropped the button on the 200 and really cheapened the body in my opinion.

I'm confused. Would someone care to enlighten me on why having a high-quality electronic viewfinder instead of an optical one is a bad thing?

This is how I see it. It isn't like film; the viewfinder is showing you in real time what the image sensor is seeing. It is going to be a more accurate representation of what your photo will look like, IMO, and with 100% coverage.

What am I missing out on?

Most reactions

Back