I chickend out of buying a lens tonight

rubbertree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't even know what to think!
I was all set to purchase the Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 macro lens tonight. I have done a lot of research on it and knew that was the one I wanted. A local shop is having Nikon month for May and they even price match. I found a shop across the country that is offering the lens for $819 (regular price of the lens in most stores is $899 with sales of $30-40 off here and there). The owner agreed to $819.
They intershipped it from the downtown core to the southend store for me because I live out of the city and the southend is closest to me.
They call this afternoon and say it's in, great I say, I'll come get it tomorrow.
During supper I decide I can't wait so pack up and head to the city.
The whole trip I am thinking about this expense, the cash I'm about to drop on this lens. My tax assessment came in the mail today, it's $300 more than expected. We have to pay $200 in income taxes this year. That's nothing, I know, but every year we've gotten a return well over $2000 so that was a sting.
Still, I have the cash, but couldn't bring myself to do it! I totally talked myself out of it! What if I don't really use it? What if the price really drops next year? I've just bought 2 other lenses within the last 2 months, do I really need another? Can I justify spending over $800 for macro shots?
Holy crap. I can't believe I just did that. I am such an impulsive spender and I've never had this issue in the past. I feel like I have buyers remorse before even buying the lens. I felt a little guilty after spending so much on my tele but got over that soon enough.
Someone slap me!

I do this with EVERY purchase I make. I wait months to buy things I know I'll love when I get all of the time. For me, its from growing up (and still) without lots of money. I knew most of the time if I got something, that was it for a LONG time afterwards. I'm not saying I'm a better person because of this, but I'm just saying I get that bummed out feeling after you've talked yourself out of something.

I do the opposite. I just buy it and then put up with the cognitive dissonance (buyers remorse for those who didn't do consumer psychology) afterwards.

Well one thing about waiting for the price you know if you just wait for it to get cheaper you will never buy anything. There is always something cheaper around the corner so you really have to just give in and get it or just wait for the rest of your life.

haha, i can teach you something about spending money. i'm awful with buying things. not too long ago, i went into henry's for a UV 0 filter and went home with a fuji S5 lol. that was silly.

I don't recall ever experiencing buyer's remorse. When I want something I know that I want it and what I want it for, I do a lot of research on it and look around for the best pricing that I can get.

I never rush a purchase, but I don't waste years waiting either. I often (most of the time), talk to owners of the object that I want to purchase and ask for personal opinions and what they would do different and so on.

Once I pull out the plastic, there is no turning back in my mind, it's a done deal and I am happy with the circumstances because I have the money, like the price/service and have no reservations about what I am purchasing.

Well one thing about waiting for the price you know if you just wait for it to get cheaper you will never buy anything. There is always something cheaper around the corner so you really have to just give in and get it or just wait for the rest of your life.

My DH is one of those people that says, "If you just wait a little longer, the price will come down." Whatever! When I bought my D80 he said to me, "but if you wait until next year it will be cheaper." Yes, I said, but that's a whole year wasted not taking pictures with it. Having something you want and use makes it worth it. How is it worth waiting???

I do the opposite. I just buy it and then put up with the cognitive dissonance (buyers remorse for those who didn't do consumer psychology) afterwards.

That is how I always am too! That's why it shocked me so much to feel the remorse on the way to the store!

To top it all off I had forgotten to bring the printed email from the owner agreeing to the price match (he said to bring it when I bought the lens). that made me feel like the universe was trying to tell me something.

So last night I sat and researched the Sigma 105mm macro instead. A recent issue of Popular Photography that featured questions about lenses said they tested the Nikkor 105mm micro vs. the Sigma 70mm (why 70 instead of 105? I don't know) macro and it said the Sigma was the sharpest optic in their current line. And $300 cheaper.

hmmmmmm what to do? What to do....

Haha I don't think I've ever felt buyer's remorse. Luckily I have a pretty strong understanding of what $$$ is coming in and going out so I'm pretty confident when I went to spend that I'll be able to manage it.

If I ever did get buyer's remorse though I'd talk to my Dr about having that part of my brain removed.

hahaha! Good think I work for a doctor!
That's the messed up thing about this... although we have had some unexpected bills crop up, I still have the money for this lens.
Someone just go buy it for me then it's done. Like the time I had to have my friend push me to bungee jump!

I don't recall ever experiencing buyer's remorse. When I want something I know that I want it and what I want it for, I do a lot of research on it and look around for the best pricing that I can get.

Your bank account probably looks a lot better than mine. I had a case of very bad timing when I just bought my new screen at the beginning of the year knowing it's cleaned out my disposable income for the next 3 weeks, and 2 days later my insurance bill arrived quite unannounced. Nothing like asking your parents for $800 to give you some buyers remorse.

Try used...

I picked up my Sigma105mmMacro for $290.....

No remorse....

If your not going to be shooting macro all the time why pump a ton of money into it?

I am an buy now worry later type of guy.

I actually just bought the 105 vr a few ago and spent ALL my money on it.

Oddly ennough as i was typing this the doorbell rang and the ups man just dropped off my filters to attach my 50mm to the end of it :)..

And i swore i would stop at the lens :) oh well.. No regrets (yet)

So last night I sat and researched the Sigma 105mm macro instead. A recent issue of Popular Photography that featured questions about lenses said they tested the Nikkor 105mm micro vs. the Sigma 70mm (why 70 instead of 105? I don't know) macro and it said the Sigma was the sharpest optic in their current line. And $300 cheaper.

Sincerely, I do not know why they did not test the Nikkor 105 to the Sigma 105... but I have the Sigma 105mm F/2.8 macro, and really like it.

Macros are true 1:1 and tack sharp. The lens off of macro is wonderful too. Creamy bokeh and it's the close to being the sharpest lens I own.

Click on the pic to see the full size... you can see the tiny hairs on the bee's legs quite clearly.

Most reactions

Back