I couldn't take it ... made a purchase...

jedirunner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I took a business trip to Tampa. No big deal, right? Well, I stressed over whether to pack the 7D and lenses or not. I finally decided not to, cause then I'd have 3 bags and have to check one.

Ok, so I'm in Florida, the business trip is going great, and we get talking about dolphins and the Dolphin Tale dolphin, which is in an aquarium about 20 minutes from here. Wait! 20 minutes? My daughter *LOVES* dolphins. If she finds out I didn't go get a picture, then I'd be forever un-cool as a father. But what to do?

So we found a nearby Best Buy, I went in, and walked out with an s100. Yes. I now own an s100 to be my pocket point-and-shoot when I don't have the 7D kit with me.

Sigh. Which is sadder?
  1. that I didn't take the dslr with me in the first place, even given the hassle it would cause, or
  2. that I am no longer willing to put up with an iPhone camera, and need something with manual controls, even if it's small
Confessions of a noobish photo-hobbiest.

Kevin

So I took a business trip to Tampa. No big deal, right? Well, I stressed over whether to pack the 7D and lenses or not. I finally decided not to, cause then I'd have 3 bags and have to check one.

Ok, so I'm in Florida, the business trip is going great, and we get talking about dolphins and the Dolphin Tale dolphin, which is in an aquarium about 20 minutes from here. Wait! 20 minutes? My daughter *LOVES* dolphins. If she finds out I didn't go get a picture, then I'd be forever un-cool as a father. But what to do?

So we found a nearby Best Buy, I went in, and walked out with an s100. Yes. I now own an s100 to be my pocket point-and-shoot when I don't have the 7D kit with me.

Sigh. Which is sadder?
  1. that I didn't take the dslr with me in the first place, even given the hassle it would cause, or
  2. that I am no longer willing to put up with an iPhone camera, and need something with manual controls, even if it's small

Kevin

From what I've seen the S100 is a pretty fricken nice point and shoot. Seems to have usable ISO up to 1600. That's pretty good IMO. I'm sure you'll get a lot of nice shots with it. Enjoy the new piece of gear!

It happens lesson learned, personally I bring my camera everywhere yes, everywhere. Good to have a backup camera.

And that's why I'm not one who advocates the "DSLR is too much of a hassle" train of thought.

I'd much rather have sore muscles nad nice pictures than no pictures at all. My body will heal but I might never get another opporyunity to take a photo. I also don't really find a DSLR ever a hassle. It's more of a travel necessity...lol

And that's why I'm not one who advocates the "DSLR is too much of a hassle" train of thought.

I'd much rather have sore muscles nad nice pictures than no pictures at all. My body will heal but I might never get another opporyunity to take a photo. I also don't really find a DSLR ever a hassle. It's more of a travel necessity...lol

Lol. Thats precisely why I chose a camera bag that doubles as my cary-on and fits a 15" laptop... :)

Sigh. Which is sadder?

Kevin

From what I've seen the S100 is a pretty fricken nice point and shoot. Seems to have usable ISO up to 1600. That's pretty good IMO. I'm sure you'll get a lot of nice shots with it. Enjoy the new piece of gear!

I really hope so. I did some test shots in the hotel room last night, and it seemed to do quite well and easy enough to use in full manual mode. Hoping the shots look equally nice on the computer once they're uploaded.

It happens lesson learned, personally I bring my camera everywhere yes, everywhere. Good to have a backup camera.

Yeah, I had been thinking about adding the s100 to my gear as a backup when just a pocketable camera is handy. Hopefully will serve well in that role.

I'm definitely edging closer to keeping the DSLR with me much more often. However there's times I think I'll still opt for the pocketable. I remember just thinking of hitting up Disneyland and riding Splash Mountain, and keeping a plastic baggie with me to pop my pocketable camera in for the "splashing" part of the ride, and was glad I did as I came out soaked. I suppose I could take one of those super big ponchos, but the pocket camera was handy in there. Still, I see that I'll have my DSLR with me a lot more going forward.

Lol. Thats precisely why I chose a camera bag that doubles as my cary-on and fits a 15" laptop... :)

Which bag do you have? Would love to get an opinion on a laptop/camera bag. I've seen several, but would like real life usage comments from someone who either loves or hates theirs. :)

Thanks all for the comments!

Kevin

I'm using a Think Tank Urban Disguise 50, which I bought about a year ago. It is, hands down, the best bag of its type that I've owned. This is a multi-purpose bag, for certain. The contents of mine varies pretty widely depending on if I'm traveling for work, traveling for pleasure, or just jockeying back and forth to the office. I find it well layed out and easy to reconfigure.

Keep in mind that it does make sacrifices to be multi-purpose. If you want a dedicated bag for taking to professional shoots, Think Tank (and others) have better alternatives. That's not what I wanted. I wanted a daily driver that could accomodate a lot of different situations. Most of the time, every piece of gear in my signature is in this bag, along with an iPad, a 15" MacBook Pro, lens filters, cleaning supplies, and a mouse. I'm not easy on bags, but this one is still in like-new condition a year later. I expect it's going to last a good long time.

I will also say that customer service at Think Tank is way above average. I lost a divider and called to get a replacement. I expected a hunt for a part number, followed by an ordering process. I also figured it'd sting the wallet a bit. The living, breathing, human being who answered the phone listened to what I needed, said "no problem," and shipped me the divider the next day... at no charge... Awesome.

Sigh. Which is sadder?

Kevin

No reason to fret. So you dont want to bring all your gear. Not everyone has to be super hardcore. There is nothing wrong with using a point and click if its a decent one. You just want to get some snap shots anyway. I had a canon elph for years and it was a good camera. I have pictures I took with it hanging on my walls.

Most reactions

Back