I didn't know Grackles eat Sparrows...

I hate grackles...They are mean, mean, mean!! :grumpy: They do kill other birds. I saw one trying to make a meal out of a baby dove and momma dove was trying to kick its arse.

My question is whether or not the Grackle killed the Sparrow or was it already dead...

What are you implying with this line of questioning? ;)

Not much, but sometimes, some animals, including birds (e.g., crows, ravens, magpies, etc.) will eat carrion (maybe it was road-kill), or they will steal the kill of another animal/bird. I guess we need the feathered CSI team in here? :lol:

CC, nice capture of the facts of life - sometime they get a bit "not so nice". My question is whether or not the Grackle killed the Sparrow or was it already dead and the Grackle was simply an opportunist? I see this sort of thing with the Crows, Ravens and Magpies in my part of the world acting as "environmental cleaners" in the parks and byways where I live.

WesternGuy
I didn't see the kill... The Sparrow sure looked fresh. I wasn't by any major roads... So i'm sure what happened, but a few people on my FB page said it is relatively common, especially this time of year...

CC, thanks for enlarging on the "explanation". I really was not aware that Grackles would kill and eat other, presumably smaller, birds. Learn something new every day.

WesternGuy

Common Grackles forage primarily on the ground. During breeding season, their diets consist mainly of insects. However the birds are opportunistic and can eat fish, small frogs, salamanders, mice, and small bats. They are also known to eat other birds' eggs and nestlings, and occasionally kill and eat other adult birds, particularly adult House Sparrows. During spring and fall migration and winter, common grackles eat mostly grains and sunflower seeds, as well as corn and acorns. They also eat some fruits.

Wild Birds Unlimited: What do grackles eat?

There you have it.

Sheesh.

Most reactions

Back