I don't get HDR

800px-New_York_City_at_night_HDR_edit1.jpg

Paulo Barcellos Jr.
File:New York City at night HDR edit1.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

I like the ability to bring out a greater level of detail and range of exposures. For example, there are times with a landscape shot in which the land and sky are both compelling. Instead of exposing for one or the other, or finding an unhappy medium in-between, HDR enables both to be seen with equal clarity. Could similar results be achieved with a filter? Yes; but a filter only sees things one way. High Dynamic Range offers greater flexibility, (which isn't to imply it's superior.) In the program I use for processing (Photomatix) there are as many as 15 parameters you can tweak to really fine-tune the image. The end result can be as subtle or extreme as you like. It's nice to have the option of HDR.

It's a style. It's like with skin smoothing, flash or anything else. It can be done so it's completely unnoticed and natural or it could be so amazingly over the top. Either way, people have different opinions on it.

I just hate the anti-HDR band wagon. I enjoy some of those over the top photos, but it seems on some site to moment some unfortunate person posts an HDR photo, there's a 10 page thread about how bad HDR photo is with no one directly commenting on the photo itself. I've never really made any HDR images as it's not my thing, but I respect those with the eye for the shots and the creativity to do it.

I just hate the anti-HDR band wagon. I enjoy some of those over the top photos, but it seems on some site to moment some unfortunate person posts an HDR photo, there's a 10 page thread about how bad HDR photo is with no one directly commenting on the photo itself.

I still don't even get the anti-HDR bandwagon. It's an artistic style that many people enjoy, why are so many against it? I can appreciate those that don't like it, but to look down on those that do like it is beyond me. There's a reason stuckincustoms.com is as popular as it is - because the general public likes HDR!

Personally, I like it because of the details you get out of pictures that you would lose otherwise. For example, below is a sun setting behind a building. Without HDR I would have had to choose either a blown out sky or a building that was just a silhouette.

4261822396_1cba0379a9_b.jpg

I wonder if generation/age group is related to the HDR haters in any way. It would be interesting to find out. I could imagine that Boomers or early Xers wouldn't like it since it's strictly driven by the computer age.

/just a loose poorly thought out half drunk theory.
//I'm sure the cartoon crap HDR has become associated with doesn't help

Most reactions

New Topics

Back