I don't know what I don't know! 1st camera for my 14y/o

Kookalamunga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and not a photographer but hoping in the spirit of the holidays you will still help me. :) My daughter is BEGGING us for a DSLR for Christmas (what happened to dolls and legos?). Anyway, my budget has me looking at a couple used Canon EOS Rebels on Craigslist in the $350. range. I've seen both the 8mp and 10mp models with a telephoto lense for around this price. I realize it's a starter camera, and that's what I'm looking for. My questions are:
What should I be looking for when I go to purchase a used camera like this one? Other than obvious wear.
--Is this a decent starter camera? I'm not hooked on this particular brand or model.
--Is this something I should not buy used regardless of how it looks to the untrained eye?
--Most cell phones have cameras with 8+ mp these days. Would I be buying old technology that would be disappointing -compared to pictures she could take on her phone?
--Does anyone reading this have a good DSLR for sale in my price range?

Thanks in advance and a very Happy Holiday to everyone.

That's a fine camera. Before you go and spend you hard earned money on a camera from some guy on Craigslist, I would seriously consider first looking in the used camera departments at either B&H Photo or Adorama, both located in NYC. They have a great selection of used camera gear and can set you up without breaking the bank or risking your money because they carry a money back guarantee on their used equipment. Both legit stores that have been around for decades. I'd start with B&H and go from there.

Here is a link to their current used Canons:

Used SLR Digital Cameras| B&H Photo Video

And here are some used Nikons:

Used SLR Digital Cameras| B&H Photo Video

I would stick with one of these 2 brands and avoid brands like Sony, Pentax, etc.

You may also check this one out

FRYS.com | CANON

[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II lens (Black) for $350 (end 12/6) with free shipping from Frys new with warranty

The T3 currently is the cheapest entry level Canon DSLR camera.

Canon USA link
[/FONT]http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t3_18_55mm_is_ii_kit

Camera review
Canon Rebel T3 / EOS 1100D Review: Digital Photography Review[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]

[/FONT]

Kookalamunga; Also check out your local brick and mortar camera store for used cameras. The owner of the local store has an incentive to make sure you get a camera that works at a fair price.

Kookalamunga - the Canon T3 recommended above is a great entry level camera. If you can get one for $350, you should snap it up. If you miss out on the deal at Fry's, here is a used T3 at B&H for $350.

There are also good deals out there on the entry-level Nikon D3000, starting at $277 used on Amazon.

That's the answer to the "which DSLR should I buy?" question.

But you also asked if DSLRs are "old technology compared to the pictures she could take on her phone?"

She will not be disappointed with the pictures the T3 (or any DSLR) is capable of, compared to even the best cell phone camera.

That said, reflex mirror cameras are indeed old technology and, if she doesn't want to carry a heavy reflex mirror around, there are other options that will allow her to express herself creatively with photography and videography without giving up a lot in image quality.

Along those lines, I would also suggest you take a look at mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras with the DSLR form-factor such as this $340 used Panasonic G2 from Amazon Warehouse Deals. The G2 has interchangeable lenses, like a DSLR, but weighs less and is smaller. This camera also has an articulated, or "flip out" LCD, which will allow her to take self-portraits, as well as high and low angle shots.

Comparing the typical image quality that shooters are getting from these three cameras:

12.2MP Canon T3: http://www.flickr.com/groups/rebelt3/pool/

10.2MP Nikon D3000: http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond3000/pool/

12.1MP Panasonic G2: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1428402@N23/pool/ and http://www.flickr.com/groups/1501251@N22/pool/

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
DONT FORGET TO GET A LENS !!! Theres usually a 18-55mm kit lens around. Without a lens, a DSLR is utterly useless.

Canon and Nikon are both fine. Main issue with Canon/Nikon is that they have their own lens mount, so you cant use Canon lenses on Nikon or vice versa (well, there is a crook to use Nikon lenses on Canon, but only without autofocus). Thus it would be best to ask your daughter which brand she prefers.

If your daughter prefers Nikon, theres also the Nikon D3100 for about the same price around, which should be about the same deal.

First DSLR - Get the cheapest new or refurbished one you can. Invest other money into lenses since that's really what limits your photography and they'll outlast the camera by a long time if properly cared for.

If you don't know a lot about cameras I would strongly suggest not buying a used one, especially from CL or ebay or something. Too many cameras out there with dirty sensors, that have been dropped, come with bad batteries, bent card pins, etc. Check out Canon's refurbished cameras. It's direct from Canon, they're just as good as new, if not better, and they're very affordable.

If your budget will only allow for a used camera, find a buddy who's pretty experienced to take with you to check the camera out. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of the Canon Rebels although just because of the close prices and available accessories. I would go with a Rebel XT or newer. If you happen to find a good deal on a Canon 40D or 50D, those are great cameras as well and a step up from the Rebel Line.

I would just stay away from Craig's list altogether. I've only attempted two deals on CL, but both turned sour.

Its good that she wants a DSLR for photography. Do me a favor and make sure she isn't going to use it for self shots in the mirror for her facebook page, that really gets me. I know that I might sound rather negative here and I do apologize for this, but I've seen so many girls on facebook taking pictures on auto of themselves in a mirror with models like D80's. Fair enough, it's your camera and nobody has the right to stop you using it, but it just seems so much of a waste.
Rant over.

I wanted to make sure I thanks all of you profusely for the education and feedback. We have not made a decision yet, and this is where we stand; her mom is leaning towards a new Rebel at 399 and I'm leaning towards something -anything in the 200-300 range. She's only 14 and I'm afraid this will be a phase (hopefully not, but it very well could be) or she doesn't use 75% of the features of the DSLR.

One last question: Is something like the Powershot SX500 a reasonable alternative? 16mp and AF. She just won't be able to change lenses. Can you get 'creative' with these types of digital cameras?
Thanks again to you all for being friendly and helpful.
Happy Holidays.

One last question: Is something like the Powershot SX500 a reasonable alternative? 16mp and AF. She just won't be able to change lenses. Can you get 'creative' with these types of digital cameras?

Probably not as "creative" as some of us on the forum, but honestly, for a young person, she can learn a lot about photography in general without changing lenses, etc. As you give her the camera, ask her to try to make very good pictures with it. Not all will be good, of course, but she should be able to get one good one for every 100 other shots that are not so good. Let that be her challenge.

Also, since you are probably going to delete 99 out of every 100, you probably should help her cull the product of her first year's worth of photography. You can also enroll her in a photography course at the high school, and get her to join the local camera club to get her photos judged.

Most reactions

Back