I dont know what Im doing :-(

masquerad101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I have already briefly talked about this in another thread but I would like some more detailed information on the subject. You see I edit my photos in prophoto mode both in raw and photo shop and they look great on my IPS screen and on facebook as you can see here

https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...869.1073741831.100005839210020&type=3&theater

but when I upload them to photobucket the look terrible! I have been told that I have to change the colour mode to RGB after I hve finished editing them as our monitors cant handle the colour gamut of prophoto. So I tried that and my photos still look terrible on photo bucket as you can see below. Can anybody tell me the correct way to convert my colour settings so I can show my photos on here as they actually look? Thanks!

P.S. Feel free to have a browse through my photography album on facebook as it would seem that is the only way I can show my images at the moment.

Try using JPEG image with sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile for web.

On Photobucket... save the images in SRGB, and at a size around 1024 (with moderate web compression) before uploading the images. If you allow PB to compress them, their algorithms are really harsh... they will destroy the image.

Or get a Flickr account.. far better than PB!

Im having the same problem with flikr so I guess that the problem is definatley at my end. Im running out of ideas and getting really frustraited now

I have used Photobucket for many years and have never had an issue with the way their web site handles my images. No problems at all. None. Nada. Zilch.

I also have a Flickr account, but have never used it much because I didn't like the web site's blog type appearance.

You need to use sRGB, not RGB.

RGB is a color model that has a family of colorspaces. ProPhoto RGB, Adobe RGB, sRGB, Mellisa RGB, and many others are all RGB color spaces.

Do not choose CMYK. CMYK is a color model, not a colorspace.
RGB color model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CMYK color model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have used Photobucket for many years and have never had an issue with the way their web site handles my images. No problems at all. None. Nada. Zilch.

I also have a Flickr account, but have never used it much because I didn't like the web site's blog type appearance.

You need to use sRGB, not RGB.

RGB is a color model that has a family of colorspaces. ProPhoto RGB, Adobe RGB, sRGB, Mellisa RGB, and many others are all RGB color spaces.

Do not choose CMYK. CMYK is a color model, not a colorspace.
RGB color model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CMYK color model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok so I shouldnt use CMYK but what if I want to print? What should I use then? I know you are all probly getting a little frustraited with my lack of knowladge :) Should I then edit each phoo twice? Once for web and once for print? Also Im thinking of investing in a colour calibration device but im on a tight budget of around £100. Any advice on which to choose?

If you use PS, you must use Edit>Convert>sRGB (not Assign) to change the profile before saving.or you can use Save for Web which is not ideal because it strips out exif.
If you use Lightroom, the options in the export as dialog are fairly self explanatory.

Unless your printer specifically request CMYK, just use sRGB as the color space.

For 99% of all printing ignore CMYK,
High end print shops will use Adobe RGB as color space and Tiffs as file type
Most print shops that photographer deal with use sRGB
Desktop printers handle sRGB just fine.

Keep your file in Prophoto or Adboe RGB until you want to export it and then export in the desired color space.

Last edited:
Try using JPEG image with sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile for web.

and what about the cmyk tab in colour settings? What should I set it at?

Wo Wo Wo Wo ... Wo !!!

Do not change the colour settings in Photoshop. You'll quickly get into a mess. Set it back to North American General Purpose 2 and then close the Color Settings. Make sure before you close that the RGB working space is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

All you want to do you can using other tools in Photoshop. When you open a photo in CameraRAW or Lightroom it works in its own native colour space. When exported to Photoshop it'll default usually to ProPhotoRGB.

Now the default working space is sRGB. When you open an image that is NOT in the default working space the title on the tab will change and should read something like this: DSC_2434.NEF @ 25% (Layer 1, RGB/8*)*

Note the two * symbols. The first * symbol means you're not in your default working space. The second * symbol means you have unsaved changes. Everytime you see the first * symbol it means when you save a JPEG you may not end up with a picture that is compatible with the web. In any case you shouldn't save wide gamut images as JPEG because 8bits per pixel aren't enough to represent all the shades in wide gamut images so you may actually end up with quality problems.

Anyway... What you can do:

Either:
Edit-> Convert to Profile and select sRGB IEC61966-2.1
After you click OK you should see the * disappear from the title tab. You're now in sRGB IEC61966-2.1 which is the default working space and compatible with everything.

Or:
Save a copy of the file using File -> Save for Web
Tick the checkbox "Convert to sRGB", this will create a JPEG in sRGB without changing the working profile of your image. This dialogue will also convert 16bits to 8bits automatically, and allow you to resize the image without affecting the size of the original. It really is quite useful.

Most reactions

Back