I Don't Need No Steenkin' White Background!

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A NOTE FOR ALL VIEWERS OF THIS THREAD:
This is intended as a progression thread. All this studio, monolights, light modifiers, under exposing & over exposing backgrounds, gelling backgrounds, etc is new to me. Consider me a newbie because that is exactly what I am here. Your input and comments are valued. Who doesn't want to improve? If I post self portraits, which will be most likely, subject focus is not a paramount issue with me. It's a tough gig anyway. I am more focusing.... err, concentrating my attention on the lighting and posing. That is where your input will be most appreciated. I figured that instead of posting multiple threads, a catch-all might be best. If I knock one out of the park, you can best bet that a separate thread will be started. :biggrin: Without further ado, please view at you leasure.

Cause I can overexpose the grey for a white background, underexposed for a black, gel it for colors. Well, that's the theory anyway.

Just some play this weekend with the new background and lights. Once my room was filled with all the kit, it gets kinda small. I may need to get some ND filters to knock down the power of the lights even though one with drop down to 1/128 and the other two to 1/32. Still seems quite bright..... I need a bigger boat. :D

Placement of the lights and which modifiers work best is still a mystery at the moment. Did someone say trial and error? The overexposed side light in the first shot was intentional, but I need to work on the ratios a bit more.

1174050450_LtwTJ-XL.jpg

1174155218_qkTFT-XL.jpg

Here is the new background, Lastolite 6'x7' Collapsible with 5' train. Colors are Washington/Dakota . This side is a mottled medium grey and the opposite is a light grey. Supported on a 13' stand with a reflector arm used to spread the BG as wide as possible. That's a steamer on the floor for the wrinkles, but I also found out that a few clothespins strategically placed will effectively pull it taut.​

1173482144_ekFjt-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking. There will be more photos to follow as I get better acquainted with the setup.​

Last edited:
Kind of a Dave Hill look. I don't see an example of a white background with it.

Great first shot, well done! Is that a mirror photo? as it shows the ear ring in the wrong ear.

Kind of a Dave Hill look. I don't see an example of a white background with it.
Who? Patience my son. I did ays at the bottom "There will be more photos to follow as I get better acquainted with the setup."
Great first shot, well done! Is that a mirror photo? as it shows the ear ring in the wrong ear.
Thanks, but mirrored? :confused: The hoop is in the right ear and the studs are in the left.
Cool lighting!
Thanks.

Added red gel, but missed the placement of. Thinking of a sot with a red background for Valentines. :eyebrows: I will look happier than this one. :biggrin:

1174388874_UWsKC-XL.jpg

Yeah...... I've got a couple of wild hairs.

1176157817_qjuN9-XL.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back