i dont understand monopods

I use one all the time with my 70-200 VR (it's HEAVY) shooting kid's soccer and even on the trail for wildlife. A monopod makes it easier to support the weight.

Just TRY out whatever you're considering. Some cheap ones collapse unexpectedly. One brand has a pop-out lock on the last extension that does NOT work well. The twist locks are of varied quality. I have a clip lock one that's been real nice.

Esp important if you're also using as a walking stick. Not fun to have it collapse unexpectedly.....lol

A mono pod is a tool. Would a tripod be more stable? Sure... but as others have said there are places where one dare not go with a tri-pod. The value and effectiveness of a mono-pod, like anything else photographic, depends on the type of work you do. As an example, if all one does is landscapes photography, a tripod maybe is the only support you need.

I will throw this out there, I don't know if it has been mentioned, but your tripod can double as a monopod. Just extend a single leg and wa-la!

most people use the flash to illuminate targets half a mile away .. so that looks silly. even with a monopod. now beat me.

Yes, watching the flashes go off at the top seats of a stadium to light up the field shows how the majority have no clue about photography.

skieur

I normally keep mine attached to my backpack, but its never a bad idea to carry it while walking through downtown at night :)

Most reactions

Back