I found a cool old camera at a garage sale, need some help with film

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I just picked this beauty up for $1. I know, it's a staggering cost but it was worth it to me. It's practically new looking. It even has a cartridge of film in it with 8 shots remaining... but the battery in the cartridge is dead. :(

537255336_J3ank-L.jpg

So, it's been a while... is there a particular type of Polaroid film I need for this baby? It's a SX-70, perhaps an Alpha 1 so it was made around 1977 or so I think. I have found a couple of sources for Polaroid film but I don't know if this one needs a particular kind or if they're all created equal.

Any help would be appreciated! I want to get some shots with this old girl.

I used to have one of those when I was 8. My father purchased it for me at an auction. Mine was black though. It used to take polaroid film that came in the 4x4 packages. Sorry but I cant remember the type, It was ages ago.

this is an sx70 polariod camera,
it takes time zero film which is no longer made, altho, you may find some for sale at very high prices. there is a film called blend that may be easier to find.

by the way, this camera was awarded to be included in the top 100 designs of the century, i believe it was number 49 or 50.

the time zero film was very popluar for many artist who would manipulate film before the emulsion was fully dry (it still makes me sad )
oh yes, the battery is built into the film pack so it too is now just a memory.

i have two, they are like lonely bookends.

Polaroid SX-70 Blend Film

I thought polaroid film was not being made anymore. Hmm.
Very cool find. Very cool design. Have fun!

this is an sx70 polariod camera...

Definitely an "SX-70" and not an "SX-70 Alpha 1".

the time zero film was very popluar for many artist who would manipulate film before the emulsion was fully dry...

Actually, the "newer" Time-Zero version of the SX-70 film was very poor for this type of work, though because most people hadn't discovered the technique until the original SX-70 film had been replaced with the "improved" Time-Zero version its this later version that is most often mentioned. The original SX-70 film developed slower and was much much more plastic during development allowing for much more artistic manipulation. Images could be smeared and distorted in the original film to an extent impossible with Time-Zero.

Ya know, I'de love to run across one of these just to take pictures of it :) It's got such a nice, funky design to it. You should do some more shots of it, I'de love to see them.

Ya know, I'de love to run across one of these just to take pictures of it :) It's got such a nice, funky design to it. You should do some more shots of it, I'de love to see them.
Funny, I bought it to be used as a prop on model shoots. Now that I've played with it, I want to actually see if it works. :) I found some of the "blend" film for $21 + $9 shipping. I've also gotten some great advice on ow to use 600 film with this camera doing a couple of little mods.

The Polariod discontinuation page (my link above) talks about how to adapt 600/779 film to be used in the SX-70.

The Polariod discontinuation page (my link above) talks about how to adapt 600/779 film to be used in the SX-70.
Yup, I caught that. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm really looking forward to reliving my youth by getting this little guy up and running.

I'll have to take a picture of the other camera I picked up, I have no idea what it even is. If I had to guess, it's much older than the Polaroid.

Here it is.

537317970_ArR28-L.jpg

537318002_27Eft-L.jpg

Any idea what this one is?

Jeez man, did you find that one at the same place as well? You've hit the jackpot my friend.

Jeez man, did you find that one at the same place as well? You've hit the jackpot my friend.
I got 4 cameras for $4. One of them is an old movie camera, I'm still trying to figure out the age of it. Here's the pics:

537326541_FCrm5-L.jpg

537326505_aAVbm-L.jpg

The kicker is, this thing still works. I have no idea where you would find movie film for it. But it's still really cool.

Most reactions

Back