I gave Studio photography a try......uh oh....

I think one of the best things you could have done would have been to fire a gel-fitted flash at that black background, to give it a nice color gradient. Everything is a learning process. Consider this Step 1. You actually took Step 1. And didn't fall utterly,hopelessly flat on your face or butt. So...step 2 is next!!! Keep moving! :D

I think one of the best things you could have done would have been to fire a gel-fitted flash at that black background, to give it a nice color gradient. Everything is a learning process. Consider this Step 1. You actually took Step 1. And didn't fall utterly,hopelessly flat on your face or butt. So...step 2 is next!!! Keep moving! :D

see...another set of eyes...I didn't even think about colors and gels. Good call Derrel.

I will say that bc the pics are so flat and the light was straight at them, it did give a flawless look to their skin which the mom liked =)))

Always important. Not bad AT ALL for your first try.

I think you know most of the issues you were having with this shoot. which is good because your learning what mistakes your making and now can work on the solution. I have somewhat found that going out and shooting in these terrible conditions are good training at learning ways to adjust and adapt. if you spent all your time shooting in a giant perfect studio you likely would have a lot harder time when you started going out and getting into these situations.

thanks everyone! Derrel...you crack me up =) haha.....I'm going to look into the gels..!!

I only had a black background and they were DEAD SET on this wardrobe attire.... I had two lights each positioned in front of them but to the side. I would have preferred them much more to the side of them and a hairlight. I aLlso had my sb700 on camera which is such a NO/NO but i simply could not get enough light.

Next time put the sb-700 off camera and use commander mode with the pop up. You can go into the menus and set the pop up to simply provide a flash that doesn't add to the exposure but does trigger your OCF.

I am not a Nikon shooter but I believe that will work.

Most reactions

Back