I got a D3200 Nikon DSLR for Xmas!!

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was actually not really into photography for a while, but I occasionally take some pics with my Canon sx280 (which sucks cause half the time it doesn't turn on, etc).

Anyways, my Mom got me the D3200 for Xmas and I think it comes with 2 lens, the 18-55 and the something-200mm I think off hand. I just got it today and haven't even had time to open the box. I think she made a good choice seeing she knows NOTHING about photography (I don't really either), but somehow she knew to get me a DSLR.

I wasn't excited at first, (although I had to act that way on Xmas and it was REALLY nice of her to get me it of course), but I'm actually pretty excited now! Like I said, I haven't been really into photography lately as I'm really a classical guitarist most of the time as a hobby, but I do like taking pictures occasionally, especially in the summer.

I mostly like landscape things, etc and portraits too. So, I had a though about upgrading to the D5200, but now have decided that it's not worth it for me. It only took me a couple hours and reading a few reviews, etc. So is this D3200 a good choice for someone like me? I'm pretty convinced and really don't have the money, nor really the desire to upgrade. I'd rather try my hand at learning how to use the darned thing first!

Anyways, I'm now pretty excited about having a DSLR finally! I've only had Ponit and shoots up until now. Hopefully I can learn to use the thing and take some nice photos!

Comments welcome thanks :)

Very nice. It only gets more expensive from here. lol

So is this D3200 a good choice for someone like me?

Yes, it is an excellent choice. With the two included lenses, you will have lots of fun getting to know it. Be sure to give your mom plenty of pictures. You should tell her not to bother getting them all printed and hung, just wait until the good ones start coming.

Thanks all. Now I've gotta learn to use it lol. I take a lot of drives in the summer and I'll have fun taking pictures of landscapes and birds and stuff. I'm reaslitic though, Im not really a BIG photography buff, but I have more of a "passing" interest in it, along with lots of other hobbies! My main hobby and passion for the last 20 years like I said has been classical guitar, but I've always had a slight interest in photography and have bought many P+S cameras, but never really got past AUTO mode with any of them, so I guess it's time to learn!

I'm a very artistic person and my grandmother was too and she also had a passing interest in photography and if I remember correctly she had an SLR film camera back in the 80's, so it's something that's interested me, although I haven't had much time to get into it, since classical guitar takes a lot of my time.

The KIT came with an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm, but I noticed that they're NOT VR. Is that a big deal right now for me? Rockwell said something like "VR is critical" on his site, but I'm not sure that he meant for "everyone", especially a beginner.

Will I be fine with those 2 lenses that came with it for a while? Should I run out and drop $250 on a VR 55-200mm already??! LOL!

What should my next lens be? Oh no, here I go spending money!

P.S. The battery came charged as far as I can tell. Is that odd or is that how they usually come?

No, the lack of VR is definitely NOT critical. It's nice to have sometimes, but of the half-dozen or so VR lenses I own, I doubt I've used that feature more than a very few times. What it does is allow you to hand-hold your camera at slower than normal shutter speeds. It doesn't do anything to stop subject movement however, so if you're shooting say a race car, sure, you can shoot it at 1/30 of a second at 200mm, BUT [in most cases] why would you want to? It's just going to be a blur. It's fine for landscapes and such, but you can also use a tripod for those, and that will work for ALL your lenses.

Thanks tirediron!!

Another couple questions for anyone:

1. Should I save the box and stuff that the camera came in for any reason?

2. Should I get a display protector? I took off the one that comes on it of course, it's just a plastic sheet or something that usually comes on LCD displays.

1 - You can keep the boxes if you want. Alot of people do that. So if you ever sell it in the future people think that they get a good deal when it comes with the original boxes. But they don't help in anything else.

2 - I wouldn't worry about it. I've never scratched the display.

Congrats on the new camera. Go out and have some fun with it.

Congratulations on the new kit. Have fun, learn, have more fun. Go take a shot of DiMillo's for me! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back