I got a film camera today!

Passion4Film

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I already have a Canon PowerShot A520 (for about a year... before that I had a Casio and a Nikon... I've been digital for five years). Today I had to get a film camera for my Intro to Photography class.

It's a Canon EOS Rebel K2 (I got the kit with the lens, batteries, etc). I'm excited, but I am a little aprehensive... like I'm being disloyal to my other camera, as silly as that sounds. Another thing bothering me: I could have gotten a great new digi-cam for $200 (which is what this one cost). It's not that I don't want this camera, I'm really excited to have it, but I really wanted a new digital camera soon. I also want to share my good (film) photos online, and I lack a scanner.

It's black and white photography, so I got black and white film today too.

I just wanted to share! I'm pretty excited to go back to class tomorrow (4 hours a morning, 4 mornings a week, 5 weeks) and really start! We have our first assignments this weekend.

Photos of it here, as well as of my matching camera cases, LOL. Both of my Canon cameras are in Samsonite bags, lol. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/simpl...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

trust me, a 200 dollar film camera will be far far FAR superior to a two hundred dollar digi, you made a good choice, I don't know much about you now, but IMO by the end of your class you'll be very glad you got your camera, have a great time!

Luke said:
trust me, a 200 dollar film camera will be far far FAR superior to a two hundred dollar digi, you made a good choice, I don't know much about you now, but IMO by the end of your class you'll be very glad you got your camera, have a great time!

Thanks. It was a quick choice, as I needed it for tomorrow after finding out what kind I needed today. I feel overwhelmed - like it was thrown at me (in a good way). Hopefully I'll learn to love it, as I have learned to love and cherish my digital cameras.

What other 200 dollar digi where you interested in... With an slr you've got allot of more control compared to digital point and shoots, I get what you're saying about the "feeling weird by leaving your digi alone for the film camera" although my feeling is backwards (I just bought a digi and have only worked with film) the Rebel class from cannon is a pretty nice base to start with in an SLR, the most important part of an SLR are the lenses not really the body IMO (if you ever want to buy a DSLR you can use the same lenses as your film camera, as long as they're EF lenses)
Hope you have great experiences with film

You really didn't waste your money. I think it was a good investment. If you had more time you could have saved a little by buying used but not much. $200 for a camera and lens is not much at all. And as said above if you stick with Canon you can get dual use from the lenses you may get and if you buy a DSLR later on.

Congrats on the camera. And just as a note. I still buy used film cameras and use them. Somewhat a small hobby collecting them. But I also use them for fun. Although I have 2 DSLR's and a prosumer digital. I will still use film until it gets too expensive to use.

By switching from digital to film you have succeeded in making me feel very old, but apart from that congratulations! Are you planning to develop the film yourself? If you haven't considered it yet I would do so, it really is much cheaper and more satisfying. And there are plenty of helpful people in The Darkroom forum who can advise you on how to do it.

Ah good. Soon you will discover the art of shouting at the guy who switches the light on at the wrong time. Just don't be that guy. :lol:

ZaphodB said:
Ah good. Soon you will discover the art of shouting at the guy who switches the light on at the wrong time. Just don't be that guy. :lol:

oh... so adults do it too! i hate that... worst thing ever. dodge burn dodge burn.. flourescent light. hours work gone in a second.

I had purchased a K2 about a year ago. It takes very good pictures, and I am glad I spent the money on it. The K2 and T2 Canon's are some of the easiest film cameras I have worked with. You made a good choice!

Most reactions

Back