Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Of sorts... :allteeth:

20181230_161516-1154x1468.jpg

20181230_150316-1612x1209.jpg

Nice glass. But it'll work better if you take the lens cap off. :biggrin-new:

Don't rely too much on that Power Tank. Mine only lasted a year, and you can't change the battery in it without destroying it first.

Nice glass. But it'll work better if you take the lens cap off. :biggrin-new:

Don't rely too much on that Power Tank. Mine only lasted a year, and you can't change the battery in it without destroying it first.
Oh thaaats what my problem was... haha

I actually had a solar filter attached and was playing around. I still have a lot of learning to do. Almost ran the counterweights into the mount while indexing to the sun cause I had them set too high. I can't wait for some clear skies.

Good to know about the power tank. Did you replace yours with another or try a different solution? I bought the AC adapter for it so around the house I should be fine. I also bought an autoguider which I have to learn to use. Should Male for some great long exposures once I get some practice.

....Good to know about the power tank. Did you replace yours with another or try a different solution? .........

I took the hard route. I bought a metal tool box, a couple of golf cart batteries, some 12v power outlets, a fuse holder and an on/off switch. I then soldered a bunch wiring to make it all work. It's heavier than the Power Tank, but it lasts soooo much longer.

The plastic tray still fit above all this, so I use it to carry USB adapters & cords, some LED lights, power adapters for 9, 6, 3 and 1.5 volt plugs, etc. Even a 100w AC inverter. Enough room in the bottom for the batteries, the wiring and such, as well as the plug-in charger. However, no radio or jumper cables like the PT. But I have a dedicated car starter as well as a pocket radio.

Heavy bugger to be sure, but I think it's a better use of a c-note than the Power Tank ever was. I tried to disassemble it to replace the battery, but it was glued shut. I could only smash it apart to access the battery. Sadly, I think it's built that way on purpose.

I've had it for about 10 years now. I use it for a 12v supply when on vacation and camping as well as running the 'scope. Even on a two-week vacation and recharging my phone, running the laptop to download a couple cards of images to a portable drive every night, charging the camera batteries constantly.... it's never died on me*.

*Except for the one time this past fall I left it turned on for about 3 months.

....Good to know about the power tank. Did you replace yours with another or try a different solution? .........

I took the hard route. I bought a metal tool box, a couple of golf cart batteries, some 12v power outlets, a fuse holder and an on/off switch. I then soldered a bunch wiring to make it all work. It's heavier than the Power Tank, but it lasts soooo much longer.

The plastic tray still fit above all this, so I use it to carry USB adapters & cords, some LED lights, power adapters for 9, 6, 3 and 1.5 volt plugs, etc. Even a 100w AC inverter. Enough room in the bottom for the batteries, the wiring and such, as well as the plug-in charger. However, no radio or jumper cables like the PT. But I have a dedicated car starter as well as a pocket radio.

Heavy bugger to be sure, but I think it's a better use of a c-note than the Power Tank ever was. I tried to disassemble it to replace the battery, but it was glued shut. I could only smash it apart to access the battery. Sadly, I think it's built that way on purpose.

I've had it for about 10 years now. I use it for a 12v supply when on vacation and camping as well as running the 'scope. Even on a two-week vacation and recharging my phone, running the laptop to download a couple cards of images to a portable drive every night, charging the camera batteries constantly.... it's never died on me*.

*Except for the one time this past fall I left it turned on for about 3 months.
Well you certainly went the engineers route on that! When it comes to mechanical systems I'm a wiz, but electrical is not something I excel at, so I doubt I would tackle making my own. I noticed Celestron now makes a Lithium Poly battery pack system that claims better performance and it is smaller and lighter. Properly managed li-po batteries should last quite a while. I'll see how this one does over time and if it craps out I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it..

I put on the .7x focal reducer and was pleasantly surprised with the FOV on my D800. It was a bit wider than I was originally anticipating. I can also buy an accessory to replace the secondary mirror with a camera making it an f/2.3 astrograph. That would be way down the road, though, since I'd have to buy a dedicated camera.

I'm pretty excited to start both visual observing and imaging. I also picked up a clip in filter for my D800 for city light polution. I'm in a bortle class 5 area so hopefully it helps.

Bought a telescope for my wider years ago, but never got all of the attachments to achieve this myself. Always wanted to go back and get the parts

NICE :)

I thought the computerized mounts used AZ/EL mounts rather than equatorial mounts.
Or is there still an advantage to using an equatorial mount?

I thought the computerized mounts used AZ/EL mounts rather than equatorial mounts.

Astrophotography, mainly. Prevents field rotation.

crimbfighter: On other thing to watch.... don't keep turning the scope one direction: You'll end up yanking the power cord and damage something.

Astrophotography, mainly. Prevents field rotation.

crimbfighter: On other thing to watch.... don't keep turning the scope one direction: You'll end up yanking the power cord and damage something.
Good advise. I'm sure I'll muck something up along the way but hopefully I can avoid damaging anything.

Like Sparky said, the only advantage that I'm aware of is for imaging. Long exposures will eventually start to stretch due to field rotation.

I'm still an astro novice.
Actually even lower, pre-school level.
My wife got interested in astronomy, then lost interest, so I've been thinking about using the reflector kit that I pieced together for her . . . one day.

My wife got interested in astronomy, then lost interest, so I've been thinking about using the reflector kit that I pieced together for her . . . one day.
I, too, am very much a novice in this realm. I spent some time researching a good setup for what I wanted to do and decided that I would put together a list and buy it all at once so I would have everything I needed. I know HOW to use everything I got, but I am far from practiced or proficient at using it. It's going to be a long road of learning and practice.

I, too, am very much a novice in this realm. I spent some time researching a good setup for what I wanted to do and decided that I would put together a list and buy it all at once so I would have everything I needed. I know HOW to use everything I got, but I am far from practiced or proficient at using it. It's going to be a long road of learning and practice.

You got me beat.
I am still learning how to just do the setup, and find Polaris, to align the mount.
I just gotta start practicing what I read.

Most reactions

Back