I got above the fog...

Tony S

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
.. well, for a few minutes before it obliterated everything again. Mt Rainier from way up in the forests to the west of the mountain.

Got one shot before the fog set in at my first view point...
408374216.jpg

Then the fog moved in, everything gone or going quickly...
408374215.jpg

All the fog made it hard to figure out which road was which and I ended up in the wrong spot, but still a nice view...
408374214.jpg

As the sun was setting the fog was rising...
408374211.jpg

Pulled out the 400 for a nice close up. I was close enough to the mountain that I could not get all of the top in the frame.
408374209.jpg

And seconds later it was all gone.... lol
$Untitled-1.jpg

Attachments

• $12-16-13_0011.jpg
    $12-16-13_0011.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 147
  • $408374216.jpg
    $408374216.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
4th one down is awesome.

How much snow cover is needed for the "buck's head" to be visible on Mt. Ranier???

Thanks Runnah, that is my favorite of the whole bunch. I was hoping to hit the road that took me up the hill behind where I was so I had the mountain with the fog layer visible below it in the shot. But getting through the fog to find the right road and running out of light I had to settle for that spot.

From this angle you can still make out the Indian chief on the left side. You actually loose the image of the chief when there is too much snow. Right now there is a pretty low snow pack on Rainier, less than half what it should be right now. At Paradise at the 5,400 level there is less than three feet of snow, there should be close to 8 feet by now just for an average year.

They're all nice, but I really love the colors in the fourth one!

Everytime I see pictures like this, I'm reminded of a great song by Bryan Bowers, master of the autoharp:

"Out on the road, we tell all the turkeys
Yes, it's always raining, and the sun never shines.
But all the natives know, when the mountain lifts her skirt up,
The View From Home will flat out melt your mind."

Here's the only link I could find to Bryan actually playing it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Runnah, that is my favorite of the whole bunch. I was hoping to hit the road that took me up the hill behind where I was so I had the mountain with the fog layer visible below it in the shot. But getting through the fog to find the right road and running out of light I had to settle for that spot.

From this angle you can still make out the Indian chief on the left side. You actually loose the image of the chief when there is too much snow. Right now there is a pretty low snow pack on Rainier, less than half what it should be right now. At Paradise at the 5,400 level there is less than three feet of snow, there should be close to 8 feet by now just for an average year.

No, I mean the male deer's head and antlers...I was not aware of the Indian chief!!!

Left side of the mountain, the left most peak is his head dress, follow down you will see the nose on the face and the image will hit you as to what it is. Never seen the "buck" and can't find a reference to it.

Duhhh says me, I found it... it's the elk head, not buck. Had to look through my files, it's on the northeastern flank of the mountain. On the other side of what I posted. Not an angle many see unless they are hiking the mountain. It's also one that disappears with too much snow or if there is a large slide in the area.

$Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back