I got my 18-70 in the mail today!

Life

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.holthausphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So far I'm thrilled. I never knew that a more professional lens would make this much difference! Right from the start everything is more saturated, color is way closer to real.. With my previous lens, (18-55 kit) When I shot a semi closeup of a yellow flower in the sun, it was blown out, not very good detail. Now it's just the exact way it looked before I shot it. I'm so glad I bought this. AND I got it for a really cheap price too! Yay :D

So far I'm thrilled. I never knew that a more professional lens would make this much difference! Right from the start everything is more saturated, color is way closer to real.. With my previous lens, (18-55 kit) When I shot a semi closeup of a yellow flower in the sun, it was blown out, not very good detail. Now it's just the exact way it looked before I shot it. I'm so glad I bought this. AND I got it for a really cheap price too! Yay :D

How about posting some samples!

better yet, how about posting a side by side comparison photo between the two!

Sure i'll post an un edited with the 18-55 and un edited with the 18-70. Hold on a sec! :p Sorry guys the side by side will take a till weekend, because I don't have the 18-55 anymore and so I will have to take an un edit photo I took a week ago and i'll have to take the same picture with the new lens, and i'm not home tomorrow so that will take a bit. But I will post reg shots I took 10 minutes after the FedEx arrived.

11ccwwk.jpg

9b98i1.jpg

9fv0wy.jpg

And keep in mind these are just jpegs ;) I can post more if you ask for more :)

I have to say for shots I just used to test it out, the saturation and sharpness is pretty amazing. The noise in the 1st one was because I shot at 400 ISO because of low light.

Last edited:
The 18-70 is an outstanding lens! IMO, the best kit lens ever.

I borrowed one at the Oregon coast from an elderly gentleman, about 2 years back...it was just north of Newport, and we were at a park with a beach overlook, as sunset approached. me and Brenda pulled into a parking space, and people were lined up, as they do, to shoot sunset pics. We got to talking, and I saw he had an 18-70. I asked if we could do a quick lens swap, so I popped off my lens and he shot my 70-300 VR and I shot his 18-70 for sunset...worked out great...I was impressed by its image quality, and I liked the feel of it too.

I borrowed one at the Oregon coast from an elderly gentleman, about 2 years back...it was just north of Newport, and we were at a park with a beach overlook, as sunset approached. me and Brenda pulled into a parking space, and people were lined up, as they do, to shoot sunset pics. We got to talking, and I saw he had an 18-70. I asked if we could do a quick lens swap, so I popped off my lens and he shot my 70-300 VR and I shot his 18-70 for sunset...worked out great...I was impressed by its image quality, and I liked the feel of it too.
Yeah it is great.. I was actually quite surprised with the AF also. Very fast and you can't even hear it. AND you can MF at the same time without moving the switch which to me that is just great. I only payed $134, and I couldn't ask for a better deal.

Update: So far, when zoomed all the way out @ 18mm, vignetting is bad. Yes I can remove most of it in light room5, However I suck with LR5 so it's hard lol. So I have vignetting at 18mm. But go to 20mm and you can't really see a thing. by the time you're at 30mm it's 100% gone. Benjamin Holthaus | 500px The first 8 photos you see on that link are from this new lens of mine. FOR ANYONE AT WORK, THERE IS NO "Bad" CONTENT, NO VIRUSES OR ANYTHIng You can see on some of them like in the docks one there is vignetting, edited but it's still there. SO go ahead take a look, those first 8 are from the new lens! :)

You can see on some of them like in the docks one there is vignetting, edited but it's still there

most WA lens will have i but it's really not apparent on your pics. The docks pic you mention has gradients on the top and bottom of the frame that completely mask if there were any.

otherwise, how could a slider in LR be hard?

You can see on some of them like in the docks one there is vignetting, edited but it's still there

most WA lens will have i but it's really not apparent on your pics. The docks pic you mention has gradients on the top and bottom of the frame that completely mask if there were any.

otherwise, how could a slider in LR be hard?

You don't see it much because I cropped the pic till you didn't see it. And in LR you cannot move a slider to remove vignetting. Every slider you use will change the whole picture. THe only way I know is to use that adjustment brush tool, but even then, doing the corners is still a bit difficult at time because it's very hard to get the exact exposure each time. Especially a picture with a lot of different colors.
5ygllg.jpg
That pic is unedited, see how bad it is there? Or i'm just a nut and no one else really cares...

there's a vignette slider on the effects tab.

you should also turn on lens profiles so the software will automatically apply distortion and vingette corrections.

I have those options set as default when importing........... the lens corrections, CA, etc. Make it easy to not forget!

No, the best kit lens ever is Canon's 24-105 f/4 IS L
The next best is Olympus 12-40 f/2.8

I've had the 18-70 when I got my D70s, it wasn't bad.

No, the best kit lens ever is Canon's 24-105 f/4 IS L
The next best is Olympus 12-40 f/2.8

I've had the 18-70 when I got my D70s, it wasn't bad.
If it's a Canon, how can it be the best anything? ;) As a long-time Nikonian, I'm afraid I can't comment with any degree of authority on either Canon or Olympus lenses, but I will wager that when one compares quality and price, the 18-70 pulls ahead of the Canon lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back