I got some new stuff ... (thumbs nose at Dany)

Loosen rear cell with spanner wrench. Turn off the cell by hand.
Set shutter and release.
If no shutter movement ... press the blades a bit, and they might release.
Wash blades with lighter fluid
Exercise shutter
Let dry
Repeat until shutter and aperture are freely moving ... note that aperture only gets set in position after shutter is charged.

I don't have tools for removing those rings especially with the limited access of the rear ones. Gave everything a good soak with Ronsonol and will carefully try again. Thanks for your help Dennis. Did however get the aperature blades to free up and the shutter to fire reluctantly a couple of times. Think we're on the right track.

Ah, if you ever want to continue working on cameras ... a lens spanner wrench is very important.

Too true! Up to now most of my repair attempts have been on simpler cameras.

What worked for me is pure Naphta from the local hardware store. I take about a half a cup and add three to four drops of Nyoil (google it to see where you can get it), mix well and apply a few drops of this mixture to the frozen shutter. Great for all little fine gears as well.

Actually yes. In repairing some of the large and medium format shutters I was able to use the above formula without having any oily deposits on the shutter leaves. Using Naphta alone will freeze shutters, while adding that Nyoil will ever so slightly lubricate the moving parts. I would not use Nyoil as is, undiluted.

Good. Let me know how it worked out. :1247:

Yo, it just stuck me that we have not seen you on this forum for a while ... nice to see you back.

Thanks, good to be back and recognize many TPF users from a few years ago. Hopefully I'll be checking in more often.

Most reactions

Back