I got this e-mail.

bullykai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got this e-mail and was woundering if it is scam? I had uploaded a Picture to this photo contest one day.

here is the e-mail. what do you think??

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Katie,[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the past, we informed you that you and[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] your artistic accomplishments could have been honored at the International Society of Photographers Convention and Symposium in Las Vegas, Nevada -- even though you were unable to attend.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please note that because so many people took advantage of this [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]opportunity, we have [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]extended the time for you to elect to receive [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]your [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]awards[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
6110272133206.gif
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and benefits of ISP membership, provided that you will allow us to present your photo "Sandy Face" (see your photo here) at our next convention and that you have elected to receive all of the awards and benefits of ISP membership that we have scheduled for you. Your awards, which will be shipped to you at this time, include your custom engraved Outstanding Achievement in Photography Crystal Award Trophy see it here, your bronze Commemorative Award Medallion, and your Full BasicMembership into the International Society of Photographers for 2007. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In this regard, we have arranged for your photographic artistry to be
prominently displayed at a future international gathering of
photographers. Your photograph, along with your name, will be presented
exactly as you created it, so that your artistry receives the exposure
it deserves. In this way, hundreds of attending photographers and their
guests, who come from all over the world to attend the convention, will
appreciate your photograph.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And let me tell you a little about the actual awards and ISP membership benefits that you will receive by mail immediately after you confirm your participation in this prestigious event by allowing us to showcase your photo:[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
3196396251507.jpg
3194753116254.gif
Your Outstanding Achievement in Photography Crystal Award Trophy (a $300.00 value) is a magnificent work of art made from imported crystal; it is hand-engraved and mounted on a solid marble base. This will be the first time ever we have bestowed these crystal awards. They have been created by artisans that we commissioned specially for this year's convention. This impressive award is so valuable and fragile that we have designed a special carrying case to ensure the protection of your prestigious award.
3194753116254.gif
Your bronze Commemorative Award Medallion is a deeply etched bronze medal (a $40.00 value) brilliantly displayed on a 25-inch red, white and blue satin ribbon.
3194753116254.gif
And your Full Basic Membership into the International Society of Photographers for 2007 (a $60.00 value) entitles you to a personalized membership card, special discounts and contests, and a free subscription to our quarterly newsletter. Please note, if you are already an ISP member, your benefits will be extended an additional year.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Katie, all that's required for us to immediately send you all of these Awards is for you to give us permission to display your photograph. Additionally, because you will not be present, we must also ask you for the necessary funds ($169.00 plus p+h) to cover the costs of the time and effort required to present your photography before the convention attendees, and to cover the costs incurred in insuring and shipping to you these extremely bulky and heavy awards.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Katie, we are, of course, ultimately most interested in meeting you and having you personally present your artistry in front of the thousands of other photographers who attend these live events. Unfortunately, this is not the case at this time, so we're trying to do the next best thing. But we sincerely hope to personally present you with your most deserved awards in the future.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Go Here To Have Your Photo Displayed At The Convention! [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Craig Foster
International Society of Photographers
Convention Awards Chairperson
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.S. Your Outstanding Achievement in Photography Crystal Award Trophy, bronze Commemorative Award Medallion, and personalized membership card, will be shipped to you by Federal Express and will be accompanied by a 100% money back guarantee of your complete satisfaction. If for any reason you're not 100% delighted with your Awards, simply return them any time within 60 days of receipt for a full refund, no questions asked.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.P.S. You'll also receive a $100.00 gift certificate off the registration of a future ISP convention so that we can formally recognize your photographic accomplishments in person at a date that's convenient to you[/FONT]

i always get emails , and ocasionally snail mail from them . I dont know if its necessarily a scam, but its something that i wouldnt participate in. I have a feeling that they probably send the same info to everyone who signs up or enters a photo because my entry had a focusing issue. but i'm guessing its not a scam, more of just a way to get you to buy stuff from them, because if you truely were a winner, they'd most likely give you the trophy for free, right?

"[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Additionally, because you will not be present, we must also ask you for the necessary funds ($169.00 plus p+h) to cover the costs of the time and effort required to present your photography before the convention attendee"

LMAO! That's great... here's your award but you have to buy it. :lmao:

It may not be a scam, assuming you get what you pay for. It's a very crafty way to get you to part with your money. Go to the photo store and buy something quick - it'll save your money! ;)
[/FONT]

Have you ever seen the movie "The Devil's Advocate?"

The final scene depicts the devil smiling, saying some like, "Vanity... definately my favorite sin."

Don't fall for this.

Pete

It is a scam in the sense that they are trying to imply that you were selected to participate based on the quality of your work, when in reality anyone who pays up can participate.

Scam. If you win a contest you should - NEVER - have to pay anything - that includes taxes, shipping, anything.

http://www.baltimore.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=5437
Customer Experience

The majority of the complaints received by the Better Business Bureau of Greater MD concerning International Library of Poetry/Photography (ILP) allege delayed receipt or non-delivery of publications. The company has responded to complaints by fulfilling the orders or issuing refunds. According to the company, there are sometimes delays in releasing the books either because they are a compilation of poetry or photography from many authors and the company may sometimes have to delay publication pending receipt of the authors' approval of their work, or, for Post Office delays due to the use of third class mail. The company states it usually takes 4-5 months to print a poetry book and 9 months for the photography anthologies.

Some complaints also allege ILP's advertising is misleading in that it is not clear that they are a "vanity press" rather than a traditional publishing house. A "vanity press" publishes an author's work at the expense of the author and typically does not market or distribute their publications. In this instance, the authors' poetry is included in an anthology which they purchase from the company. If the poem does not contain obscenities or racial/ethnic slurs it is generally considered acceptable for publication in the anthologies. There is no restriction on the age of the author. Individuals should not expect the general quality of the work in the anthologies to be of a high caliber.

Some complaints allege authors have received letters telling them they have been nominated as "Poet of the Year" and inviting them to receive an award at the company's annual poetry convention, for which they would have to pay about $500-600, plus travel and hotel expenses. However, virtually everyone who submits a poem is nominated; the award is "not for poetry of merit." That information is not included in the correspondence to the author. Individuals who choose not to attend the convention are encouraged to purchase the awards at a cost of about $190.

When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.

The Bureau processed a total of 387 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 387 complaints closed in 36 months, 136 were closed in the last year.

It is a scam in the sense that they are trying to imply that you were selected to participate based on the quality of your work, when in reality anyone who pays up can participate.

Ditto.

I did upload a picture to this as well in the past. I was informed it was selected for a book and then got emails about the same thing as you did. Once they started asking for money, I simply tossed those requests. However, it would've been great to have a trip to Las Vegas. I don't think I'd be uploading anything more to them. And definitely will not be buying anything.

I'd pay for entries to juried shows but I won't pay them to display my work or pay to collect a so-called throphy.

Thanx guys thats great. I kinda thought it was a pay us and we will send you a trophy. but wanted to make sure. I should look for that book that my photo was apperantly in and see if it is in there......LOL

Betterphoto discussion #1

And #2

This is Vanity Publishing. It's how all those stupid romance novels came to be. People pay a publisher because no ones willing to pay them.

I think it would be safe to assume that this 'company' is connected with International Library of Photography. They have about 100 different names and do it for poety as well.

I eventually sent them a registered letter stating to remove my picture from their site (picture.com i believe it was) and that they did not have permission to use my picture for anything and if they did I'd seek legal action. The picture was quickly removed and I no longer get 4 letters in the mail every week.

IMO this is a huge problem and has cost some people quite a bit of money. I was planning on starting a webpage dedicated to educating people on these guys but never got around to it.

EDIT: I have a myspace about this too. http://www.myspace.com/sheenaneil I have a blog were I express my frustrations about all this.

I entered a photo in their contest and "won" also. I looked through some of the sample picures featured in their book and most of them looked like snapshots. They even sent me some sort of medal "valued" at $100. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for the book if it ever comes out and decide then if I want to by it. I don't think it's necesarily a scam, as there probably is some kind of convention and you probably do get an award. It is misleading though and I really don't want to pay for the honor of being recognized by them.

Looks like everyone at Better Photo has experience with these guys.

Like all three of their threads state, the book is never sold outside of their company. The letters say 'Get yours now before it sells for retail in stores'. You'll never ever find this book in stores (unless it's a second handstore) and the ISBN #s or whatever are always changing.

Most reactions

Back