I hate cooking...

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First things first, I have respect for those who can cook meals, because I'm no good at it at all!

So I work at a fishing resort, and as a gift, I get two trout. "Cool!" I think, I'll be able to cook them up! So I get them home and open the bag, and they have not been filleted. I don't know how to fillet a trout, so I'm searching on the internet on how to. I get my knife out (a steak knife, which sucks for cutting a fish), and follow the instructions, and end up with two fish that are in pieces of meat and bone. I totally screwed it up, past ANY point of repair. So now, I will go to Subway tonight :(

Then to top it off, I found a video on Youtube on how to clean a fish, and found out I was doing it backwards.

I didn't feel bad for not knowing how, but now these poor fish gave their life for nothing... Which goes against EVERYTHING I stand for (I hardly eat meat, but in this case I took it cause no one else wanted it).

Anyway, I don't know if this is a rant or not, but I feel miserable. And hungry.

You have to have an instructor show you how to properly clean out fish and how to fillet it, plus you need a fish filleting knife which has to be razor sharp, too.

Having said that I must admit that I myself do NOT even touch fish, other than when it comes ready-made out of the deep freeze, only my son is into fishing, and I told him right away that should he bring home catch at all, it'd be HIS task, too, to prepare his catch. So he had to learn how to do it and does it moderately well by now. He claims to still be very bad a filletting and that he had seen other hobby anglers do it ever so much faster and with much neater, much more precise cuts than he himself can do.

Other than that: I am not too fond of cooking myself, either, but haven't had a choice all during the past 20 years of my life: I had to think up a decent meal for the family and cook it every day! (Exceptions only underline the rule).

Don't get me started on BURNING food... When I was only just married, my then still very "new" husband would sometimes come home, smell the air a little, and then asked "Oh, is it pyrolysed rice again today?". Can't tell you the amounts of time I forgot the rice on the stove until it was black... :roll:

I don't even like fish... I just took them cause they were gonna throw them away. And then, I decided to cook them outside because no one in my house likes the smell of fish. And I haven't ever cooked on a grill... It was very stressful.

But for anyone who ever wants to learn how to clean fish or fillet them, try YouTube. A video does MUCH better than a description. And all you people who can cook out on a grill or clean fish, or make these really elaborate meals where the recipe isn't on the box... I envy you. What I wouldn't have given for some help today!

Edited to add: You sound like an awesome mom, LaFoto! My mom never really cooked anything. She was cool and all as a parent (she still is), but she never really cooked for us (we ate out a lot)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back